Suspension/Brake Issues...

68Stang

Founding Member
Jan 27, 2000
Denton, Texas
I've got a few problems I can't quite track down and it is annoying as all hell!

1. Under moderate to heavy braking, and now seems to be creeping up in light braking, I get anywhere from 1 to 3 popping/clunking sounds from the front left of the car. This typically occurs when there is nose dive or if I hit a bump under braking. Occasionally it will happen on random bumps in the road without braking. Is this ball joints? If so, that sucks because mine balljoints are not that old.

2. When backing out of my drive way, if I tap the brake pedal I can hear another clunking sound, but different from the one mentioned above. I had a friend immitate my actions while I watched the caliper. Sure enough, when the caliper rocks back (which seems to be a little too much movement to me) is when the noise occurs. Would this happen due to warped/warn slide pins? I tried to tighten the mounting bracket, but it was already very tight, and it didn't move at all when I observed what was going on.

Mods that could be affecting this include: C springs, Bullitt shocks/struts, stock replacement balljoints, inner/outer tierods, and 03 Cobra brakeswap.

I plan to tear into this early in the AM, so any help is GREATLY appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)