Suspension dilemna!!!!(4 cylinder Fox Setup)

true blue blood

Dec 15, 2002
Houston,TX
Alright I was considering some 4cyl fox body springs for front and rear and some QA1 adjustable shocks and struts. I want it lower but not at the expense of losing traction.
1)How much of a drop can I expect from some really broken in springs?

2) How is the streetability of this setup is it unpredictable or bouncy etc...?

3)What is the advantage of a coilover setup I always hear it and reall don't know what its good for?

4) Will my rear springs be good for now or should I get some V8 fox springs?

Any other spring shock setup that would be a better idea with lowering but not losing traction? Thanks :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

true blue blood said:
Alright I was considering some 4cyl fox body springs for front and rear and some QA1 adjustable shocks and struts. I want it lower but not at the expense of losing traction.
1)How much of a drop can I expect from some really broken in springs?

2) How is the streetability of this setup is it unpredictable or bouncy etc...?

3)What is the advantage of a coilover setup I always hear it and reall don't know what its good for?

4) Will my rear springs be good for now or should I get some V8 fox springs?

Any other spring shock setup that would be a better idea with lowering but not losing traction? Thanks :nice:

a friend of mine has the 4cyl. springs up front for drag racing.. and they do lower your car quite a bit. looks like he has lowering springs.

Driving on the street is very similar to OEM -- you get a bit more body roll (barely noticable) and the noise lifts pretty good from a stop accompanied with hard accerleration. Be sure to only use the 4cyl springs up front and v8's in the rear (i cut rears 1 1/4 coil or so). Here are some pics of my ride:

fb65fd09.jpg

fb65fd12.jpg

Get your exhast tightened up and snug because you will be low.

Mike

97BlackSteed said:
How did your 60ft times respond to the different weight transferring springs?

I can't give you an exact time, but they got better. I was running 1.9X's on street tires with the springs and dropped to 1.72's with the slicks and springs.

Mike

JayC said:
This set-up is good enough to get me in the 12's on drag radials with only 249rwhp.

Jay

Wow! Thats exactly what I wanted to hear. That is my current goal. I know with a good 60ft time I have a high 13 second car right now. Hopefully doing the headswap over Christmas, and hopefully will see low low 13's. :)

Exactly how do you launch on drag radials with this suspension setup?

97BlackSteed said:
Wow! Thats exactly what I wanted to hear. That is my current goal. I know with a good 60ft time I have a high 13 second car right now. Hopefully doing the headswap over Christmas, and hopefully will see low low 13's. :)

Exactly how do you launch on drag radials with this suspension setup?

I'm running BFG DR's 275x50x15's, after a good hazing in the burnout box .......just crank it to 5000 and quickly come off the clutch and go WFO :D

Jay

Thanks Jay C and Mike I pretty much have my mind made up.
1)Will the OEM rear springs work good or should I get some fox v8 rears?

2)What is the advantage of a coilover setup?

3) When cutting the rears start off with a 1/4 of a coil cut off?