Suspension question

rich1223

Founding Member
Jul 6, 2001
NYC
About a week ago i started to feel something like banging or a banging sound comming from the front of the car as i drove over bumps on my 95 Gt.At first i thought something was loose but after crawling under the car everthing seemed ok.So iam just wondering could my struts be bad?the car just hit 51k miles and i notice the sound more on real cold days and seems like it comming from the wheel well area and sometimes you can hear it more on small bumps then really bad bumps in the road.I just want to get other stang owners opinions before i run out and spend money on new shocks and struts!thanx

• Sponsors (?)

I think I'm having the same problem, I thought it was my mudflap catching on my tires since its cold, but the more I look I think the dside strut is not working properly and the noise i hear is the dust cover sleeve on the strut. I may wait till warm weather and see what happens before I replace, but I think that this is it; the struts making the noise. Mine is like a rubbing when turning tight or going over small curbs.

I had the same problem to. My front right strut went on me. Poor me I have stock shocks n struts right now with MAC lowering springs. I replaced the factory struts my buddy had some with only 2000 km's on them from his 02 Vert. The ride is better but still rough. In the next week or two I am buying some tokico illuminas and H&R supersport springs. I am also getting X2 Steeda Ball Joint and upgrading my sway bars. Upper and lower control arms by MM as well. Hopefully that will get rid of all my problems.

I do if, the struts take bumps hard and if you hear them over bumps mostly.

Now, If you are going up a driveway slowly and the struts squeek. It could be the c-clamp that goes around the sway bar bushings as well. Without or with damaged clamps the struts have to work harder. Therefore the struts burn out quicker and makes for a really rough ride.