Suspension: Roush Stage 2 vs 3

I am looking into a full Roush suspension package.

The stage 2 and 3 are both the same price. The stage 3 is a little stiffer they say it is made to handle the extra 60-70 pounds that the Roushcharger adds to the car.

I asked Roush, they said if I was just going to use the car for street etc. get the Stage 2. I plan to in a year or so get a supercharger, so the stage 3 would be sufficient to get.

My real question is, since the stage 3 is made to handle the Roushcharger, will my front end sit higher if I put that package on my car when I do not have a supercharger? Or do you think it would be the same?

• Sponsors (?)

I have the Stage 2 suspension, which I installed before the roushcharger. I did not go out of my way to look, but did not notice any significant difference in stance before and after. Supposedly, the stage 3 suspension is also tuned for Roush's forged wheels, while the stage 2 is tuned for the cast wheels which are a little heavier. Unless you were to drive two cars back to back with the different suspensions, I doubt you would be able to tell any difference.
I have been happy with the stage 2 suspension though, it made handling much better without a punishing ride.

Interesting, I think I would like the stage 3 just for the stiffness.

Does the stage 2 support the rear end more when you accelerate pretty moderately, because my 09 sags like a SOB when I take off, or the front end lifts up, I cannot tell (first RWD vehicle I have owned)

Anyway, back to my question, the stage 3 is supposed to lower the car 1inch front and rear. What I was wondering is will the front springs on the stage 3, lower the car maybe half inch or so, then the weight of the charger will lower in the extra half inch.

I don't want to put it in and have the front higher than the rear, I would probably have to slit my wrists. I personally like the rear to be higher than the front, looks more mean! :shrug:

I have the stage 2 and I thought the stage 2 was also balanced for the Roushcharger and the rims? I might be incorrect on that but I think I saw that somewhere. And obviously it's red vs. blue. If you're worried about how the car sits if you get a Stage 3 and no RC, I suggest the Stage 2 with the STB that clears the RC, should you want to go that route down the line. It's what I did and it gives me something it seems 9 out of 10 Roush owners do not. It's something to consider.

I thought the S3 kit was optimized for a roushcharged car which should be more nose heavy then a Stage 3 or N/A Mustang. This is what Roush says: "# Specially tuned for the front-end weight of a ROUSHcharger®"

There is your answer

I could be wrong about this, but if both the S2 and S3 say they lower 1" front and rear, then I would imagine physically it would lower it 1" on both the S2 and S3, but the S3 would have higher rates to offset the additional weight of the RC. Either way, the front will not sit higher than the back.

Keeping the raked stance is the biggest reason I got the springs I did. They lowered the front 1.75 while dropping the back 1.5.

I have to lower the front because my bias went off but honestly I really like the even look of just dropping the rear. If I could somehow get tuned front rates and keep the same height I'd do it.

To each their own I guess and that's the beauty of this car :)

If you are not going to add the supercharger then go with the stage two. If you are going to add the supercharger later then go with the stage two suspension which comes on the 427R. 427s come with a stage two which has been modified in the front to carry the extra weight of the supercharger. Springs and shocks have been adjusted but still carry the blue color.

Stage two will give you the best overall performance for street and some track. Stage three is for serious track people.