Fox Suspension Sucks

stykthyn

I want to measure mine. It doesn't look that tall.
15 Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
gainesville
So here is the run down. Stock v8 springs, tockico blacks from a mach 1 shocks/struts, brand new poly end links on the front sway bar, aftermarket upper/lower control arms. 17x9 wheels up front with 245/45 tires and 17x10.5 out back with 315/35 rubber.
The rear isnt so bad but the front has all the firmness of a wet sponge. The front end takes a nose dive at the first sign of hard braking or a corner and the body roll is horribly bad. I also have horrible tram lining since putting the fr500s on. The front just seems to want to wander. Its not alignment related, it just grabs imperfections in the road and runs away on its own.
My son has been expressing interest in working on the car and if he sticks with it I will likely give it to him one day. I would like it to not become a runaway missile under novice hands.

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like excessive toe to me? Are you sure the alignment is at spec? Tie rods and wheel bearings in good condition?

What do your end links look like with the weight on the front wheels? The ends of the sway bar should be parallel with the road. If the end links are too long, or short, the geometry will be off.

Reactions: 1 user
wheel bearings are new. replaced them when I did the 5 lug. tie-rods are "ok" and will need replacing soon but are still serviceable. Will double check the sway bar. I tightened it down with both wheels off the ground but never double checked that ends were parallel.

If everything is tight (ball joints, bushings, bearings, tie rods), to fix the tram lining have an alignment shop set the caster to the maximum (assuming you have CC plates). Years ago i have the same issue, drove me nuts. Finally i took the car to a shop that specializes in alignments (called the front end shop), one of the guys set it that it with maximum caster and i've never had a complaint since. For a while i even ran a set of Kenny Brown CC plates that gave you positive caster and didn't even let you mess with it. I think they were called "Caster+"

Dump the stock springs for a set of lowering springs. Stock springs had alot of body roll when the car was new, i can only imagine how bad it is with an old set.
Then get a good set of shocks.

I'm pretty sensitive to alignments and ride quality, so trust me, i know how you feel.

Reactions: 1 user
my .02

the stock springs are worn out, that same symptom along with odd handling body movements springiness when pushed down on etc....

ive experienced the same road wander in a newer vet. i believe it is tire width grabbing travel grooves in the road causing the opposite of desired "road grip"

If everything is tight (ball joints, bushings, bearings, tie rods), to fix the tram lining have an alignment shop set the caster to the maximum (assuming you have CC plates). Years ago i have the same issue, drove me nuts. Finally i took the car to a shop that specializes in alignments (called the front end shop), one of the guys set it that it with maximum caster and i've never had a complaint since. For a while i even ran a set of Kenny Brown CC plates that gave you positive caster and didn't even let you mess with it. I think they were called "Caster+"

Dump the stock springs for a set of lowering springs. Stock springs had alot of body roll when the car was new, i can only imagine how bad it is with an old set.
Then get a good set of shocks.

I'm pretty sensitive to alignments and ride quality, so trust me, i know how you feel.
Xp I think you hit the nail on the head. What's a good spring? Not looking for a corner carved. Something close to stock is good.

my .02

the stock springs are worn out, that same symptom along with odd handling body movements springiness when pushed down on etc....

ive experienced the same road wander in a newer vet. i believe it is tire width grabbing travel grooves in the road causing the opposite of desired "road grip"
While that is a factor I don't think it's the some cause. My jeep has 12.5 inch wide tires up front and it doesn't have that issue. I need to find a shop that can adjust my cc plates the way they need to be. When I complained the shop told me any more adjustment would result in tire wear and horrible handling that they refused to be responsible for,and true if all I drive was 1/4 mile in a straight line it would be ok, but in real world conditions my set up is barely adequate to get to the gas station.

that does make sense. i know my camber was set to max when i lowered it and its never handled better and many years later is still awesome... no inner tire wear, seriously at least several tires overs the years, even soft michelins didnt have inner wear....do you have another alignment shop you could talk to? its gonna all need resetting with the new springs..... i can tell you eibach pro is low and semi harsh to some... i think they make a set thats taller....

I like the Steeda Sport or H&R Sport springs. They do not give you the in the weeds drop and provide a good road feel. The spring rates are much higher than the Eibach or Ford progressive springs so you don't get that mushy bottoming out feeling.

i miss forzalife ...

i hope he got that car straighten out .... or parked :shrug:

forzalife:
Idk like i said im a noob. A week in car school doesnt magically give you the wrench of god

When I first got my 86 it had stock springs and everything else as far as that goes. It was mushy and sucked. I installed eibachs. Then had everything you are talking about. I remedied it by adding MM cc plates,UPR bumpsteer kit,eibach pro-dampner kit with a good alignment and had them use MM camber recommendations. Problem fixed. It handled great with no more wander,jumping,etc. Had that setup with 17x9-245/45/17 's for over 2 years without a problem.

Brand new stock springs up front, with about 2/3 of a loop cut out of them and some well worn stock springs in the rear. Tokico HP's on all four corners. Energy Suspension swaybar bushings and end links and a quality set of rear upper and lower control arms. 17x9 with 255/45/17 up front and 17x10 with 275/40/17 out back. Excellent ride quality and handles like a dream.

Last edited:
i miss forzalife ...

i hope he got that car straighten out .... or parked :shrug:

forzalife:
Idk like i said im a noob. A week in car school doesnt magically give you the wrench of god
Sorry. I am running all 20 lug nuts and my wheels are in no risk of falling off.

You really can't miss with the eibach pro lowering kit (not to be confused with the sportline).
If you use Energy Suspension isolators, it won't be too low and they will preserve some of the ride quality.
Shocks are a budget orientated topic. I prefer koni reds, but they can get pricey.
Maybe a full set of bilsteins would help instead.

Hey styk, I recently went to Eibach Sportline springs, and a new set of orange KONIs. stance looks great, handles great. Highly recommend them. Also, something to look into are the raceland coilovers. These were in 5.0 as a screaming bargain. Four complete coilovers for $469 bucks. Hard to go wrong there.

So here is the run down. Stock v8 springs, tockico blacks from a mach 1 shocks/struts, brand new poly end links on the front sway bar, aftermarket upper/lower control arms. 17x9 wheels up front with 245/45 tires and 17x10.5 out back with 315/35 rubber.
The rear isnt so bad but the front has all the firmness of a wet sponge. The front end takes a nose dive at the first sign of hard braking or a corner and the body roll is horribly bad. I also have horrible tram lining since putting the fr500s on. The front just seems to want to wander. Its not alignment related, it just grabs imperfections in the road and runs away on its own.
My son has been expressing interest in working on the car and if he sticks with it I will likely give it to him one day. I would like it to not become a runaway missile under novice hands.
my .02

i believe it is tire width grabbing travel grooves in the road causing the opposite of desired "road grip"

He may be on to something here. I didn't see it called "bump steer" in the thread but a portion of the first post suggests it.

Do you have any kind of bump steer kit installed?