Suspension upgrade...what bushings should I get?

Chowder Head

Dec 30, 2003
Tampa, FL
Hey guys, I'm finally replacing my stock suspension with some quality parts (H&R SS springs, Bilstein shocks/struts, MM CC plates on the way already) and now I'm looking at bushings.

Problem is though, I don't know what bushings I should replace and what type of material to use. I've read that I should use a stock style of replacement bushings for the UCA's but is there anywhere else that a poly-urethane bushings SHOULDN'T be used for? But for the rest, I'm clueless so what bushings recommendations would be great.

I think I'm going to get a cobra a arm (M-3075-D) as well, since it comes with new bushings and ball joints and I hear replacing those bushings are a major PITA. Problem is though, they're like $300 now. Does anyone know of somewhere cheaper I can get them from? Cheapest place I've seen is $252, from this place: http://romisher.tzo.com:8006/frparts.asp?searchtype=str I didn't calculate shipping but I think it should be lower than most of the $300's I've seen. Do you guys think that place would be my best bet or is there someplace else?

Any replies would be appreciated fellas, thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

Awesome, thanks for saving me some money man I appreciate that. Only thing that popped out at me is that it's the DX version. Is there any major difference between the DX and the regular X version?

But I guess my main concern is exactly what bushings should I replace while I'm down there? My suspension is still very much stock from what I remember and I'd like to replace some bushings down there but I'm not sure which ones I should replace. I'd imagine I should replace the bushings on all the control arms (save for the ones I'm going to replace with the cobra pieces) and maybe the steering ones but for the rest of the bushings I should replace, I'm kinda clueless.

Lastly, is the local parts store the best place to get these bushings? Or is there a place online that sells them for cheaper?

Thanks again in advance guys!

Up front, I'd do end links and anti-sway bushings up front (poly).
Poly rack bushings.
Consider new spring isolators (poly).

Awesome, thanks for saving me some money man I appreciate that. Only thing that popped out at me is that it's the DX version. Is there any major difference between the DX and the regular X version?
They look the same to me, stiffer bushings and low friction ball joints.

But I guess my main concern is exactly what bushings should I replace while I'm down there? My suspension is still very much stock from what I remember and I'd like to replace some bushings down there but I'm not sure which ones I should replace. I'd imagine I should replace the bushings on all the control arms (save for the ones I'm going to replace with the cobra pieces) and maybe the steering ones but for the rest of the bushings I should replace, I'm kinda clueless.
As mentioned steering rack, sway bar end links, sway bar bushing, steering shaft bushing (metal tabs need to be ground/cut off). Poly for the front. The rear I would use rubber bushing for both upper and lower CA's.
Lastly, is the local parts store the best place to get these bushings? Or is there a place online that sells them for cheaper?

Thanks again in advance guys!

Great, that's exactly what I was looking to know. Now are these bushings cheaper online or would the parts store be comparable? Is there a specific brand I should go with for the poly bushings? I've heard of Energy Suspension but I haven't heard if they're any good or not.

Do you think this is a good price for a set of poly spring isolaters for the front? Polyurethane Mustang Spring Isolators - Front (79-04) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping! They have a set for the rear as well. What do you guys think about this?

Lastly, how hard is it to replace most of these bushings? I've never replaced one before so I'm curious to see how time consuming this will be.

Thanks again for the replies guys, I really do appreciate it.

Jump on Advance Auto website and put in your vehicle info, then do a search for Energy suspension bushings. You will have to measure your sway bar to find out which bushings to get, there are 4 or 5 choices. You may be able to find out which size you need searching the forums but if not a vernier caliper will do the trick. That or if you are luck you have an open end wrench that fits it perfect and you will have your size.
I don't see the steering rack bushing on there so you may be better off ordering all the bushings from Summit (Summit Code 2RETYV 10% off may still be good). Napa sells the steering shaft bushing kit (again the old bushing can only be removed by cutting/grinding off metal tabs).

Hey guys, I thought I'd update this with my new list of parts and some new questions.

Ok, so here's what I bought so far. H&R Super Sport springs, Bilstein shocks/struts, 03/04 Cobra front control arm, FRPP upper control arms for the rear, and MM CC plates. For the rear lower control arms, I'll probably go with the MM street non adjustable lowers. I like having the option of adjustability but I don't think it would be worth the extra cash for a street car with only some spirited driving. Does anyone else agree?

Now for bushings, I have specific questions.

Axle bushings - what material should I go with, poly or rubber? I found a link to some good priced polys, let me know what you think. http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...-Axle-Bushings

Steering rack bushings - again, what material should I go for? I've been hearing good things about MM's aluminum rack bushings. A tad more expensive but are they really worth it compared to polys for a daily driver?

Swaybar End Link Kit - I'm probably going to get this, just wanted to make sure it was worth it. Thoughts? I like the MM one here: http://www.maximummotorsports.com/st...roducts_id=426

Swaybar bushings - might be a dumb question but do I need to replace these if I install a new swaybar end link kit?

Dust boots - should I replace them?

Tie rods - should I just replace the inner with a parts store piece? Is poly good here?

Spring isolaters - I've read the only difference between using them or not using them is the front end might be lower if you don't choose to use them. Is that true? If so, I might get them because the SS's should drop them pretty low to begin with. Think that's a good call? Or should I just re-use the stock pieces? And is there any preference between poly or rubber here? I know the polys would last longer but I'm curious to see if there's any drivability or NVH differences.

I think that's it. Are there any other key bushings I should replace or am I pretty much good to go?

Thanks again for the replies guys. And if there's anything I'm missing feel free to let me know.

Yeah I saw that thread before but I never really found out how he liked them after some miles on them. I see you bumped the thread though, maybe we'll both find out now haha.

But I'm still a little iffy on some of the bushings so any other replies would be still appreciated.

And I have another question for you guys (sorry haha) which LCA should I get for a daily driven street car? I like having the option to adjust and have been looking at MM's, UMI, and Steeda. Now if money wasn't an object I'd get the MM's as I've heard nothing but great things but if I'll be fine with a cheaper alternative I might do that. What are your guys thoughts about these LCA's? I've searched but I didn't see much on comparing these three.

Thanks again guys!