SVO Probs

MustangPatty

Founding Member
Jun 5, 2002
Sallisaw OK
Hey wassup people, I finaly got my SVO here, what a Beauty she is. But it wont start. I checked the fireing order, Cam timeing, dist. timeing, its getting fuel, but it wont start, cranks, gets a spark, just wont fire. What could the problem be???

• Sponsors (?)

LOL :lol:

I've been reading and re-reading the Chiltons I picked up, and the only thing I can come up with is that the injectors arent poping, What could cause that, where and what voltages should I look for??? Also would the EEC power relay cause this???

My dad and I are going to hit it hard with a volt meter tomarrow and try and figure this out.

ok is it not starting at all, or is it just not starting and staying started?

to fire, you must have, COMPRESSION, FUEL, and SPARK. you don't have to have a volt meter to see if they injectors are working. check and see if you have fuel pressure, having fuel pressure does not mean your getting fuel into the engine, carefully (stay away from the belts, as in come in from the drivers side) reach under the intake and grab each injector while you have someone else turn the engine over, if you can feel each one ticking then they are firing, you can check the spark by pulling the plug boots off by using a timing light on each wire and seeing if it pulses the light, or a couple other ways like pulling the wires and seeing if the plug is firing, do a compression test and see if there is compression. if you do that, then your camshaft is probably 180 degrees out or something similar.

I know the spark is getting to the plug, it lights a timeing light, and we pulled a boot off and checked. Its got good compression, you can hear it when it cranks, and the fuel is getting to the rail at least, I just dont think its getting to the cylinders. Which in looking at my Wiering Diagram, the TFI energises the EEC power relay, which clicks on and powers both the injectors and computer, if I'm reading this right. So, where might I find the EEC power relay???

okay maybe I am stating the obvious here but I can think of two things that this might be because they have happened to me before.

1) Is your timing belt still a continuous circle or a curved line, If you have checked cam timing it is probably fine

2) How is your brain box, this kept a car of mine from working before.

This is all I have.

When it cranks does it try to start at all, or does it just turn over?

if you aren't sure about the fuel system take the intercooler off. Hold the throttle open and spray some starting fluid in it. If it at least tries to start you know its most likely to be a fuel problem. If not continue searching through the ignition system.

Well, I put another TFI plug in there and still no go. I know it gets a spark, I sprayed a little starting fluid in there and it lit the fluid. One intresting thing is that when I try to pull the codes from the computer nothing happens....I use a little Scan tool that I bought as well as with a volt meeter...

If the TPS is messed up and it thinks that the car is at WOT the injectors will not fire. You may want to probe it and see if the reading changes as the throttle is opened.
Also make sure when shut it is ~.9.

I had the TPS fail on my 87 at the same time the ecu went. Replaced the ECU and it was finally running the fuel pump and such, but no fire. Checked the TPS and it was not doing anything.

What years of TC, or other cars for that matter would have the same computer?? I'm puzzled by the fact that I'm not getting any codes from the computer, even if there was nothing wrong with it, I should at least get a Pass code...

Well, thank you all very very much for your tips and advice. Thanks to a new COmputer, and some re-worked comp. ground wiers, the car runs. Still needs some work, a few adjustements, but it will start up now. :p :p :p :p :p :p :p <---My Face from Ear to Ear when it started and ran