SVT Focus Pump Install

Shiroelex

There's nothing worse than aut
Founding Member
Aug 23, 2001
Westland, MI
So, I have my tank dropped and my old sending unit removed. I have an SVT Focus pump assembly here, waiting to be dropped in. Is there a write-up anywhere on what to do to swap these in? The buckets on these are different from eachother, and the pump on my Mustang has a little black plastic tube coming off of the pump itself, while the SVT one does not. Anyone have any experience with this swap? Also, I have read about people drilling the buckets for more flow. Should this be something for me to consider? I'm naturally aspirated, and probably will be for quite a while.

• Sponsors (?)

Also, I just pulled apart the Focus sending unit (3S4U-9H307-BB), and the pump inside says 6C34-9350-AA and has a green top. Does this sound like the right 255lph pump?

Also, I just pulled apart the Focus sending unit (3S4U-9H307-BB), and the pump inside says 6C34-9350-AA and has a green top. Does this sound like the right 255lph pump?

FWIW, from Randy Stinchcomb, long ago:

"one thing you need to watch-out for is there are 5 Different Focus fuel pumps but ONLY 1 is the SVT Focus pump, so before you have it installed, make sure you got the right-one....Ford part # 3S4Z-9H307-BC, anything else is just wrong
3S4Z-9H307-BC and $95.00 thru us and we have plenty in stock"

Unfortunately it sounds like you might not have a SVT Focus fuel pump. Perhaps you can verify this with two (or more) Ford parts departments (maybe you'll get a match).

When I did mine, all I did was swap out just the PUMP, not the whole assembly. The pump is a direct drop in, but I don't think the assembly is. Here is the write up I used to do mine: http://www.lethalperformance.com/PDF/svt_focus_fuel_pump.pdf

About it being the right part, I can't say for sure, but I'm pretty sure that if it has a green top, then it is the SVT Focus pump. Mine doesn't have the number that Randy said it had to have, but it is still the SVT pump. Here's a picture for reference. Stocker on the left, SVT Focus on the right.

1002182nj.jpg

Pump part number: 3S4U-9350-AA

Hope this helps.

Hmm. The only thing that's holding me up is this. There's a little plastic tube coming off of the side of the stock pump. The Focus pump doesn't have this. I'll take a couple pictures to show what I'm talking about. The rest will go together easy,

P6010722.jpg

P6010723.jpg

P6010726.jpg

P6010728.jpg

Also, any ideas one way or another on drilling the basket?

Just put the Focus pump (just the cylindrical shaped piece with the green top) into your stock assembly/basket. Shouldn't give any trouble.

I don't think you need to worry about drilling the basket. I don't think that's a problem until a pretty good amount of horsepower (400+), or so I've been told.

Interesting. I might just end up using the Fucus pump and Focus basket, and perhaps my float, since the Focus float is all zig-zaggy and weird.

I think this pump may have been replaced at some point though, since the pump that came out of my car had an Airtex sticker. Maybe it's some weird redesign.

I'm wondering about something myself, I got my pump from Steeda, and if you notice, the clip and the connector are on opposite sides.

This means that the filter paper part doesnt sit easy in the basket..(although I was told it was drop in).

I kinda just pushed it down, and now I ran lean on the dyno...

doh!

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=30190&g2_serialNumber=1

I'm wondering about something myself, I got my pump from Steeda, and if you notice, the clip and the connector are on opposite sides.

This means that the filter paper part doesnt sit easy in the basket..(although I was told it was drop in).

I kinda just pushed it down, and now I ran lean on the dyno...

doh!

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=30190&g2_serialNumber=1

I saw that fuel sock on one of the other Ford pumps I was messing around with at work. I think you got a sock for a van...

But my concern is that the connectors are backwardso.
Anyone notice this before?

You could always pry off the fuel sock and remount a new one. There should be a small plastic pinch clip on one side, or a pin with a circular clip that pries off. You can pick up just the fuel sock at most auto parts places. Does your power connector at least clip into the new pump?

Ya, everything hooks up neatly and properly, the only thing is, the connection is backwards

Ii kinds had to stuff the sock down the there and wondering if that's the reason I'm now lean.
My tuner is going to try and up the values with the sct, but I'm afraid if its mechanical, out comes the tank again!