Swap Plans + Archive Searching

conor

Aug 13, 2003
San Diego, CA
So I'm doing some research through the archives here on information about the 2.3 N/A and T. Mainly I've been reading up on swapping 2.3T parts to the N/A block, for a variety of reasons...

But before I get into that, I read this a dreamer thread from December '03 and can't help myself from responding:

Twin turbo is never a good idea on an inline engine, as there is only one exhaust manifold. Besides, I don't think that 2.3 liters is enough displacement to spool two turbos. You are talking only 1.15 liters per turbo, in that case.

Tell that TT/Inline bit to the Supra guys and their 1,000hp 3.0L inline sixes :D

The original Toyota TT was only 2.5L, too, so a TT setup on this engine with a stroker setup is conceivable, although I'm willing to bet that the power delivery would suck (less cylinders, one cam, etc..). It'd be cool as hell, though!

Anyway, back to my research and the questions I have on it...

Finding a 2.3T engine in a 'yard is a pain out here in California. Most of them are up near San Francisco (I'm in San Diego) and there aren't many anyway. So rather than blow $500+ on a junkyard engine that isn't in running condition, i was considering using parts from the 2.3T to turbo the N/A I have. I don't mean slap a manifold and turbo on it and call it a day, but actually swap the pistons, crank and the whole deal onto the block.

Piecing the bits together from forums and Ebay actually appears to be less expensive than getting owned by a junkyard for a non-running engine in unknown condition and then having to pay out the wazoo to get it shipped (because there aren't any 2.3Ts around here...)

So, the current engine is a 2.3 carbed N/A... and here's the list I have so far for what would be needed to convert to EFI turbo:

• ECU
  • Pistons
  • Crank
  • Exhaust Manifold
  • Turbo
  • Cam
  • 30?lb fuel injectors
  • Intake manifold/Throttle body
  • New exhaust piping
  • Gauges: Boost, A/F, EGT
  • VAM?
  • Bypass valve

What else should be on there?

I understand that the blocks vary (the turbo block has more/different water jackets?), but I've also read that some people have filled the water jackets with block-hardeners with no ill effects. I don't want to run a T3-killing 20+psi. The stock 10-11 will move the car fine.

My goal isn't a monster drag racing machine, just a bit more power than the anemic 2.3 N/A.

Am I headed in the right direction here or is this all a really n00bish idea?

• Sponsors (?)

Dont most of the supra guys swap to a single turbo setup to get more power?

Anyways between an NA and 2.3T i think the only real differences was the pistons and the use of sodium filled exhaust valves. Im sure someone will have more info though.

mikeflys1 said:
Dont most of the supra guys swap to a single turbo setup to get more power?

Anyways between an NA and 2.3T i think the only real differences was the pistons and the use of sodium filled exhaust valves. Im sure someone will have more info though.

Yes, the extreme majority of turbo upgrades for the Supra are from twins to single. The twins are more streetable (read, better for daily driving and not just for drag racing) than gigantic T-88s andt he like, from what I understand.

I'm pretty sure I must have left something important off my list, and I'm still reading through old threads, so...

Better add oil feed and return lines, fuel rail, fuel pump, fuel return line, fuel pressure regulator, turbo brace, turbo head, turbo exhaust valves (or you need to modify the chambers on yours to lower compression and get rid of the heart shape)...turbo pcv system...I'm sure there are still a few things I'm forgetting.

Oh, and I know better than "there are no turbo motors around san diego"...there is a fellow member on this board near there that finds more of them than you would believe. Just because they are in a JY doesn't mean they aren't in running condition. many cars are driven TOO the JY.

Stinger

<--- n00b

's why I asked though. :)

Today's search through Car-Part.com revealed an '84 Tbird with a 2.3T about 40 miles from me. If I were in northern California I'd have half a dozen of the things by now ^_^

Who's this fellow board member? I'd love to find out where he's getting his parts.

Thanks, as always, Stinger.