Swapping differentials

Do the Granada axles change anything, like do they have larger rear drums? Just curious as to if that would be a good upgrade to help rear braking after fronts are improved. The 5 lug part would be awesome though.

• Sponsors (?)

The Granada I pulled the axles from did have larger brake drums (an inch or so). However due to the bolt pattern used by the bearing retaining plate and backplate on the II there is no easy way to bolt the larger drum brakes onto the II axle housing. In short if you want larger drum brakes then you'll have to deal with the hassle of changing the entire rearend or going with an aftermarket disc brake system. I hope that helps... I didn't understand any of this stuff until I started turning bolts and getting grease in every nook and cranny.

d

yeah, i'm not following completely.. but it sounds like the granada axles are completely bolt on except for the retaining plate?

that may be the route i want to go with if i ever decide to go 5 lug. so much more choice for wheels and backspacing.

That is correct. Just have your the Granada retaining plate pressed off and your II retaining pressed back on. After that you should only have to buy those Ranger drums (year?) and your done. BTW, anybody remember the years for those Ranger drums? I need to go ahead and order a set...

d

I've been searching the boards, I'm trying to find the info.

what i did was i sent my 8" axles to mosers in indiana(just do a search for mosers) had them fill and redrill to 5 lug and put new bearings on also, then bought 83 ranger drums to complete the rear. the front got them from heits(not sure of the spelling) and questions let me know and i'll help you thru it.

I know I saw it before, just don't remember where it's at.