Swapping igntions on 97 GTS

TC93

Sep 11, 2000
Ellerslie GA 31807
I am new to Sn-95's and mod motors and recently bought a 97 GTS. Problem I have is, the key only works in the ignition, and not in the doors or trunk. I want to replace the lock set-up with one from another car so I can have a matching set. Will any 94-98 lock set up work? Asked this question on Corral and they mentioned something about PATS system. My car doesn't have a factory alarm, power windows, or power locks.

I got a lead on a lock set-up from a 95 with key-less entry and all that stuff. Will this lock set-up with the PATS system work in my 97 GTS even if my car doesnt have all the bells and whistles??

Any and info will greatly appreciated!!!!!:hail2:

A quick pic of my new driver...

97gt_new_wheels_2_208.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

no it won't work, your 97 has a pats key and the 1995 key will be a non pats key. if you really wanted that lock set that bad you could slip your PATS transceiver ring around the 1995 lock cylinder and have a pats key cut for it.

What I would do is keep your current ignition lock and just buy the door lock kit at a dealer, it comes apart and you code it yourself, or pay a tech there to code the locks for you.

The way I build a lock without the code is take the ignition key and your lock tumbler you are building, you will have tumblers sizes 1-5 the kit comes with 5 of each. what you do is one tumbler at a time try different sizes until they fit flush when you insert the key.. this sounds more complex than it really is, with the instructions that come in the kit you will see it's not that hard.

Thanks man...

Called Ford for the door & trunk lock kit...The door locks were $53.50 each, and the trunk was $108.37. Thats a bit more than I want to spend, just to have one key do all. For that much I may just have to have 2 keys, one for the ignition and one for the doors.