Swapping To Speed Density

Ufg062003

Jun 28, 2012
Georgia
I have a 93 mustang and I am thinking about swapping to speed density. My question is reguarding what wiring changes will I have to make and what parts do I need? Yes I know maf is better overall but I'm not making any cam changes so idle quality should not be an issue. My ECM went kaput and I'm having a hard time finding a c3w. But friends recommend the sd setup cuz it makes more power stock for stock.

• Sponsors (?)

Congrats, you have just made my top 5 list of worst ideas ever conceived on stangnet.

Hoping this was not a real post, just someone messing around.

Reactions: 1 users
I have a 93 mustang and I am thinking about swapping to speed density. My question is reguarding what wiring changes will I have to make and what parts do I need? Yes I know maf is better overall but I'm not making any cam changes so idle quality should not be an issue. My ECM went kaput and I'm having a hard time finding a c3w. But friends recommend the sd setup cuz it makes more power stock for stock.

Sure... if you're running the cam specific to that setup. Do you want to replace your cam in order to gain that benefit? Probably not. The SD system will function fine with the cam that you have in the car now but you will not see that stock for stock advantage that your friend is talking about.

The swap of the computer, harness, removal of the sensor (and redoing the plumbing) , and the wires swaps at the EEC is not worth the hassle of simply buying a used A9L or A9P and slapping it back into the car. About the only thing that you WON'T have to swap for this, "temp fix" is the harness running from the EEC to the salt and pepper shakers... and even THAT will need to be modified.

It's a bad idea.

Yea I figured it was more hassle then it was worth always is when something's free? And only reason I considered it was because I have been thru two ecms both quit grounding injectors and also made fuel pump stay on untill u cut key off

Yea I figured it was more hassle then it was worth always is when something's free? And only reason I considered it was because I have been thru two ecms both quit grounding injectors and also made fuel pump stay on untill u cut key off

That could be a wiring issue in the car. Not necessarily the computer.

You can substitute an A9P computer instead of c3m. Tgats the 89-92 AOD computer. Should be easy to find.

If you are burning computeres, there is an issue in the wiring you need to chase down.

To answer you question, youd need to swap ALL of the wiring bumper to bumper. The wiring connectors changed in 1990, so the body harness won't interchange with the engine harness of the sd car.

Easier to buy a $100 a9p than spend a week changing out all the wiring, resplicing the gauge cluster to make it work and losing your airbag.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

EBay has em for $130ish

What exactly is the prob? You sure the ECM is fried? If its a common failure that I am thinking of, there will be one pin burned out on the board inside. It can br repaired.

If this is the case, it means the car has a wire issue.

Is this a factory aod car? Was never a stick? Amy other wiring changes at all??

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

I tried o'reily autozone and advance they can't get them anymore mustangs unlimited only have a9l and I read I cant use them and all the junk yards either have speed density or 2.3 engine
Can't get 'em anymore? Wasn't too long ago that I switched to MAF and got a computer from O'reilly's. I find it weird they just outta the blue stopped selling em. Oh well they were expensive. $96 and an $85 core charge. Go used if ya can

Actually I had another 93 gt and this lx both did exact same thing both pretty much stock cruise still workin and a/c workin but both did computer exact same way fuel pump stay on and injectors quit grounding I opened up both ecms two transistors were burnt fixed them but did not fix the ecm