Suspension Sway Bar End Links -

cdurbin

5 Year Member
Jul 27, 2012
North Charleston, SC
Has anyone ever changed out the sway bar end links before? I was told that they need to be replaced.
Just wondering how difficult that is to do. Also if I read correctly, the front and rear take the same end links? Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Rear sway bar bolts directly to the frame the front end links are a 2 on the difficulty scale only because you may get your hands dirty. In many cars they have rotted and fallen off completely making your job just that much easier.

Reactions: 1 user
Actually the rear swaybar bolts directly to the control arms, and doesn't ever contact the frame.

The front swaybar endlinks are super easy to replace, except in some cases I've seen where they're rusted so badly they need to be cut off. However, the end links are easily accessible, and IIRC, they use a 14mm (or 9/16") nut top and bottom.

Reactions: 1 users
Actually the rear swaybar bolts directly to the control arms, and doesn't ever contact the frame.

The front swaybar endlinks are super easy to replace, except in some cases I've seen where they're rusted so badly they need to be cut off. However, the end links are easily accessible, and IIRC, they use a 14mm (or 9/16") nut top and bottom.

Another question, Do I need to jack both sides up at once or can I change them one at a time?

If the front is not level, the bar will be pushing, trying to level the car. The front must be level while doing this. Keep one side's hardware as loose as possible while working on the other side. Same story if you also do the bar to subframe bushings too. Otherwise the bar gets a bit heavy and an extra hand is needed.

Go poly on the end links , not rubber, or you will be doing this again after enthusiastic driving. I have NEVER regretted doing this on any of my cars. If you do the middle ones too, it will tighten up handling a bit; but clean up the hardware and use the right grease. The frame bushings can squeak sometimes if not clean and when cold.

If the front is not level, the bar will be pushing, trying to level the car. The front must be level while doing this. Keep one side's hardware as loose as possible while working on the other side. Same story if you also do the bar to subframe bushings too. Otherwise the bar gets a bit heavy and an extra hand is needed.

Go poly on the end links , not rubber, or you will be doing this again after enthusiastic driving. I have NEVER regretted doing this on any of my cars. If you do the middle ones too, it will tighten up handling a bit; but clean up the hardware and use the right grease. The frame bushings can squeak sometimes if not clean and when cold.

Sounds good. I ordered the kit from LateModelResto. Should be in this weekend.
Thanks for the advice.

It's kinda unusual to need new endlinks unless you've changed the ride height of the car. What was wrong with the old ones? Were they bent or broken? If so, you shouldn't be replacing them with the same length links, and you probably need shorter ones. Were the links OK, but the bushings were worn out? If so, you can get new urethane ones them at the local parts store. In fact you can get the links there too, in various lengths.

It's kinda unusual to need new endlinks unless you've changed the ride height of the car. What was wrong with the old ones? Were they bent or broken? If so, you shouldn't be replacing them with the same length links, and you probably need shorter ones. Were the links OK, but the bushings were worn out? If so, you can get new urethane ones them at the local parts store. In fact you can get the links there too, in various lengths.

They aren't bent or anything like that. The rubber bushings are just shot. The car has been lowered though. I'll have to check and see if I need shorter ones.
Thanks for pointing that out.

Ok, I got all the new bushings and end links ready to go. Now I have another question.
I had the car jacked up on stands in the front. I'm starting to remove one of the subframe bushing bolts and a piece of plastic breaks off off the top side of the bracket. It looks like some sort of plastic "nut plate" that the two bolts screw into.
They are pretty much cracked and going to fall apart if I take them off. What the heck is that thing and do I need to buy somemore before I continue? I don't want to screw anything up. Hopefully I explained well enough for you guys to know what I'm talking about.