Switching from IHI to ???

Slugstang

Dec 9, 2003
Va.
Another question from the newby.....

I purchased and 88 TC motor and IHI turbo for my 1985 Mustang. After doing some research I have decided to dump the small IHI and go T3/T4 hybrid. What is confusing me is the internal and external wastegates, and oil and water cooling models VS just oil cooling models. If I want to swap out the stock 88 TC IHI for a T3/t4 hybrid do I get an internal wastgate or and external wastegate and does it matter if it's oil and water cooled or just oil cooled? I looking for a replacment turbo that will bolt right into the current setup with little to no modifications. I don't want to have to buy 50 other parts if I don't have to to get the new turbo to work. I would rather get the right parts first. Also what would be the best A/R for each side on my combo? I will be running a 88 Turbo Coupe Motor, Big VAM, LA3 ECM, front mount volvo intercooler, 5speed car. I will most likely drop in a ranger roller cam as well. I'm looking to run upwards of 20 to 30 PSI of boost.

Thanks guys.

Mike

• Sponsors (?)

Come on guys I know one of you turbo experts has a suggestion on a turbo size for my combo. I know I will be getting a T3/T4 hybrid but what would be a good A/R size on the turbo to acheive the boost I'm looking for and still spool quickly?

I have seen listings for T3/T4 turbos but they all have different A/R's. I won't be reving above the LA3 computer limit. And I left out the fact that I'm using a 2.3l T5 and 8.8 with 3:73 gears as well.

I pretty sure it doesn't matter if I use a water and oil or just an oil cooled turbo correct? I just plug off the water inlet and outlet right?

Mike

Yes, you can use an ONLY oil cooled turbo, just plug the water lines. The advantages of water cooling is the center section/bearing stay cooler meaning they last longer. If you want the best turbo for your setup, that is a highly debated question, no one here is going to say " this IS the best, hands down" becuase it depends on what your driving style is, what kind of lag you are willing to put up with, what hp goals you are shooting for, the list goes on and on a good place to go to do your own research and get your feet wet is www.turboford.org go to the tech boards and read up, they have some exstremely indept descusions about Turbo sizes and aplication. Id say if you have never drivin a turbo car, use the ihi crank the boost up and see how you like it, atleast then you will know where you are, and where you want to go. just my thoughts~