Switching Tail Lights

• Sponsors (?)

By slotted, you mean they look like cheese graters right?

I don't know if you know this, but there are no screws to change out the lenses and you don't need to change the wiring or anything like that. Not even the bulbs need to be changed.

To remove your slotted lenses, you just pry them off with a flathead screwdriver where they meet the box housing unit.

You need only the LX lenses to order. They come in a kit with new buytl sealer and a bunch of metal clips. Clean out the old crap with a screwdriver, place the fresh butyl sealer in, replace the old clips with the new ones and just pop the new lenses in. Once you have them in place you may want to use duct tape to hold the lenses tight against the box housing unit and leave it like that over night to allow for the sealer to "cure" and ensure proper adhession of the new LX lenses to the housing unit. That's it.

All this time I thought you would have to buy the whole LX assembly. I have a 89' GT with the cheese graders and have been putting idea of getting LX tail lights b/c I thought it would cost too much, but all I would need is the LX lens? Hell, I might order some this weekend then.

Be leary of KSR LX lenses.

Don't buy KSR LX lenses through 50resto, or anyone for that matter. KSR = Bad Quality.

Here is an example of bad KSR quality.

KSR-Top.jpg

50resto had about 10-15 or so lenses, that had these stupid half circles in them.
Buy the OEM Ford Parts (the non circle lenses in the picture).

It will save you the biggest hassle of your life. It took me a solid month to clear up all the transactions, payments, and shipping, of the bad lenses from 50resto, due only to the shippment of poorly inspected parts from KSR.

50resto.com is the best place I have ever dealt with. They are the best! :nice:

I'll second the motion on KSR lenses being crap-ola!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I bought the LX clear tails and do they ever suck! They are a pain in the a$$ to install properly as the plastic frame around the backend of the lense was cut too short and wouldn't fit properly. I used the buytl and sealant. Now it holds, but will it leak?

Pay the extra and get the FORD originals and get it done right the first time. Don't waste your time on the KSR!

I'd also like to 2nd the motion on 50resto :flag: Lot's of great stuff, I order from them at least twice a year, never any problems. In fact, I put my first order of the year in to them yesterday. Good thing I don't live in Texas, I'd be spending all my money there :p

how much are lenses gonna run u? i say just go get a whole new housing and stuff and just swap them out...tthen throw the GTs on ebay and make a good $60. i sold mine with a minor crack for like 65 and bought new LXs (housing and all) in near mint shape for 80 shipped. i did try to pry off my GT lenses but the lense just wanted to crack and not pop off.i vote all new housing---and just save all your bulbs/screws/etc everything will work.

--as far as changing teh bulbs as said above, i think that a white blinker is 100x nicer lloking than yellow..u will like the change. i dunno about where u live but here in this strict state of NY lol white blinkers are legal, along with red and amber

johnt785 said:
How dark are the LX smoke taillights? I may just go with the tail light blackout cover. Are Cops picky about tail lights? I wouldn't think that they'd be if all the lights come up proper.

John

Joesscar1.jpg

here are my smoked lenses.. out of 1 year, i got 1 ticket and 1 warning..

the ticket was for the lenses not having red reflectors... and the warning was for me keeping the clear blinkers...

out of a year, 1 ticket isnt really that bad... not bad where ide wanna change the tails back... im the only car around here with the Smoked tails and i think they look real good..

About the blinkers... i just replaced them with red bulbs and ive never had a problem.... You DO have to get expensive bulbs for them to shine RED... all clear red glass bulbs give a pink look...... For my tails, i got these platinum gold/blue looking bulbs that are red and for my turn signals, i got them platinum bulbs they sell in pep boys from APC for the red.... Both my tails and the blinkers look red and not pink

EDIT: ok thats gay... the IMG tags didnt work for my picture... just click the link

you could always spray tint the regular lx lenses... at night you cannot tell they have been tinted, and all required red reflectors are there. in the day time it gives a nice subdued look... don't mind the crappy cell phone pic, but the level of shading on the lens is consistant (unlike appears in the pic)

tintedtails.jpg

and black331.... are you sure about those white lights in the back....i'm pretty sure only amber and red is allowed to be displayed to the rear of a vehicle. also, i'm sure there is some regulation about altering lights from the way they have been manufactured.... having said that, i have the white turns in the back, and yes they do loox 100x better than amber :D

ENFD240 said:
you could always spray tint the regular lx lenses... at night you cannot tell they have been tinted, and all required red reflectors are there. in the day time it gives a nice subdued look... don't mind the crappy cell phone pic, but the level of shading on the lens is consistant (unlike appears in the pic)

tintedtails.jpg

and black331.... are you sure about those white lights in the back....i'm pretty sure only amber and red is allowed to be displayed to the rear of a vehicle. also, i'm sure there is some regulation about altering lights from the way they have been manufactured.... having said that, i have the white turns in the back, and yes they do loox 100x better than amber :D

In NJ, clear can only be used for the reverse lights... The reason i bought red is because.. have you ever seen LX lights with red blinkers?? nope cant say i have.. And if a cop tries to give you a ticket for that, they can blow it up their a** because what comes ORIGINAL on a mustang GT? red turn signals... i had my clears for a WHILE before a cop busted my balls for that

FiVeLiTeR87GT said:
In NJ, clear can only be used for the reverse lights... The reason i bought red is because.. have you ever seen LX lights with red blinkers?? nope cant say i have.. And if a cop tries to give you a ticket for that, they can blow it up their a** because what comes ORIGINAL on a mustang GT? red turn signals... i had my clears for a WHILE before a cop busted my balls for that
my bad ... i meant besides the reverse lights