Switching To E303 Cam

• Sponsors (?)

My buddy had a e303 cam on his shelf and I'm wondering can I put that in my 1988 mustang gt without changing my lifters
Sure can, though depending how many miles are on the engine, you may not want to. New lifters aren't that expensive. The popular answer is that the cam lobes and lifter rollers tend to wear a pattern into one and other over time and this is the reason you shouldn't use them, but this is more of a rule for non roller hydraulic and solid lifters.

That said, I've reused lifters many times in the past on roller engines, with no ill effects.

The real question here, is what are you going to do to keep the pre-89 speed density ECU from throwing a fit?

Reactions: 1 user
You can do that. Just know that there won't be much of a change in performance though. The stock heads and intake system do not flow well enough. Now if you have addressed those issues already...:nice:

E cam with stock heads = not worth it. Are you runinng a stick or AOD? I'd suggest looking at the specs and power range on the E cam. I always tell people save the cam swap until you can afford a good set of heads with matched springs.

Reactions: 1 users