Symptoms of a blown head gasket?

stangtrooper97

Founding Member
Aug 30, 2002
King of Prussia
Recently my car has been acting a little weird. It has developed a hunger for coolant. The check engine light has come on a few times but I figured that was just because it was raining and it has always come on when it rains after i put my off-road x on. Could a blown head gasket be causing this? Thanks :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

if it was a headgasket you'd be seeing the leak and some blue smoke out the pipes. since it's coolant you might have the infamus intake crack. look for coolant in between the intake and the block.

tomustang said:
if it was a headgasket you'd be seeing the leak and some blue smoke out the pipes. since it's coolant you might have the infamus intake crack. look for coolant in between the intake and the block.

Oh crap, I totally forgot about a possible cracked intake. I have been getting a little more smoke out of the tailpipe but I can't tell if its because of the x-pipe. I'm probably gonna take it into my friends dad to have him check it out and run a compression test. If it does turn out to be a headgasket, it wouldn't be too bad. It would be a good time to do a headswap. :banana:

You may also find that your rad hoses are really hard. If you remove rad cap you may see bubbling or gurgling in rad when engine is running, if you have a blown head gasket.

CanadaStang said:
You may also find that your rad hoses are really hard. If you remove rad cap you may see bubbling or gurgling in rad when engine is running, if you have a blown head gasket.

Aren't you not supposed to remove the radiator cap when or after the car has been running to avoid the infamous coolant geyser? and not burning your face off?

~A.C.

ACSPONY said:
Aren't you not supposed to remove the radiator cap when or after the car has been running to avoid the infamous coolant geyser? and not burning your face off?

~A.C.

Turn off the car, let it cool. Remove radiator cap, start car. Watch the antifreeze in the rad until you see, or don't see bubbling. Sorry, just assumed everyone would know this. :shrug:

the coolant will be discoloured, there will be HCs present in the coolant, there will me coolant present in the oil, also the oil level will be higher. if a compression test is done and there are 2 cylinders next to eachother that are low the gasket is blown between those cylinders. a leakdown test will show leakage into the radiator.

CManT1914 said:
Doesn't your oil turn milky with a blown head gasket due to coolant getting in it?

It depends on where the crack is. If the crack is in the combustion chamber, you will have the hard rad hose/bubbling in the rad symptom.[there is more pressure in the combustion chamber than in the rad, therefore forcing air/spent gases into the radiator]
If the crack is away from the combustion chamber the pressure in the rad will force antifreeze into the oil, hence the milky look.

CanadaStang said:
Turn off the car, let it cool. Remove radiator cap, start car. Watch the antifreeze in the rad until you see, or don't see bubbling. Sorry, just assumed everyone would know this. :shrug:

I know to let the car cool, I just thought your post sounded like you said to take it off while the car was running or shortly after when the coolant would be HOT. No blood no foul-it's all good. :)

~A.C.

ACSPONY said:
I know to let the car cool, I just thought your post sounded like you said to take it off while the car was running or shortly after when the coolant would be HOT. No blood no foul-it's all good. :)

~A.C.

Sorry, sometimes when I type, I forget that I should proofread to make sure what I'm trying to say doesn't get lost in translation. :D I hope that last post didn't seem rude, I was trying to hurry b/c the G/F was giving the hurry the hell up look :D It wasn't meant to be :)

CanadaStang said:
Sorry, sometimes when I type, I forget that I should proofread to make sure what I'm trying to say doesn't get lost in translation. :D I hope that last post didn't seem rude, I was trying to hurry b/c the G/F was giving the hurry the hell up look :D It certainly wasn't meant to be :)

caaaaaaaan you feel the love tonight........ :D