Symptoms of a broken heater core?

5point0dude

Sep 5, 2007
Hey guys, I was just wondering what are the signs of a busted heater core, because I think I have one in my '91. While I was going to pick up the girlfriend last night, I noticed the temp gauge start to slowly rise, it would level off, then start to rise again. As I'm leaving her house, I notice the gauge starts to rise some more, almost going to the top, then smoke/condensation starts coming out of the vents. I stop immediately and check under the car to find a huge puddle of coolant on the ground. It looked like it was coming from the passenger side, behind the front tire. I popped the hood and couldn't see any coolant leaking from the engine. I haven't seen any coolant inside the car from under the dash on the passenger side, but I've also heard that condensation from the vents is the result of a busted heater core. Any info would help, thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Did you have the AC on as condensation can cause what you described? When the Core is bad, usually the carpet will get wet with Coolant and you will get a nasty fogging on the inside of your windows!

I didn't have the A/C on, it's actually disconnected right now because it's low on refrigerant. I haven't noticed any coolant on the inside of the car, just a ton underneath. I have been getting a strip of condensation on the windshield for a few weeks.

+1 on the windshield fog. It gets really bad. You can clean them, and they will fog up within minutes of driving with the heat on. Also check the passenger floor as well. If you see leakage under the passenger side of the car it might have leaked from the a/c drain hole in the firewall.