Syncromesh in a T-5??

Stang8URMPRT

Dec 28, 2003
Daytona Beach, FL
I know they call for 2.8 quarts of ATF in a T-5, but I was wondering if any of you have put anything else in it? Like syncromesh or a synthetic? I know gear lube is a no no, but just wondering. If so, did you notice any better lube, i.e., easier shifting, more noise, or less noise? Thanks

Nick

• Sponsors (?)

We have an old seasoned builder that builds T-5s for our shop in exchange for cores, and he swears by 10w40 motor oil, and that is all he wants in his transmissions. They shift way smooth.

We've used ATF in T-5 with brass blockers, although a lot of people here berate me for our use of it.

In later model units, I believe you have to use synchromesh, as (I believe) ATF deteriorates the composite bonded blockers in them. Not sure about the powdered metal ones, but they probably don't like it either.

We used synthetic, and people said they felt notchy, and went back to motor oil. Sychromesh was fine as well.

Stang8URMPRT said:
I know gear lube is a no no, but just wondering. If so, did you notice any better lube, i.e., easier shifting, more noise, or less noise? Thanks

Nick

Not entirely, the 83½' and 84' T5 uses between 70 and 80 weight gear oil. The 85' and up would probably benefit from using it because it offers more protection than the finicky ATF consistency. Due to the fiber-lined blocker/synchro rings and the tiny roller bearings used in them, it's a no no because gear oil cannot flow in to those tiny places fast enough.

FYI: Synthetic is almost always better than conventional.

Another vote here for Mobil 1 Synthetic ;)

Just finished putting some in actually lol

and seriosly I felt a huge difference in shifting when I changed my Tranny Fluid in Dec,

No noise, or rattles. Smoooooth shifts,

Worth the money,

And I havent used Syncromesh yet, I might try it next time

You guys are awesome. And yes, it takes 2.8 quarts. It's in any service manual and you can call any parts store or Ford directly and they say 2.8 quarts if bone dry.

Also, you all are saying Mobile 1 Syn.... Is that Mobile 1 Syn ATF or Mobile 1 10W 40 Syn? Thanks guys

Nick

Stang8URMPRT said:
You guys are awesome. And yes, it takes 2.8 quarts. It's in any service manual and you can call any parts store or Ford directly and they say 2.8 quarts if bone dry.

Also, you all are saying Mobile 1 Syn.... Is that Mobile 1 Syn ATF or Mobile 1 10W 40 Syn? Thanks guys

Nick
10W40 is engine oil dude....the ATF is what you want.

Gearbanger 101 said:
10W40 is engine oil dude....the ATF is what you want.
earlier in the thread, the use of motor oil was spoken of, and i think that is why he asked.

Mustang John, as i recall, 90MustangGT also runs motor oil in his (my vague recollection). ive read about it elsewhere and some like it (so i dont think you are off base with that one).

as far as ATF, i like Redline D4 (im not a big fan of products that meet the specs of many different types of that product. i like something more specifically designed to replace that particlular fluid).
my two cents worth.

i run 10w 40 Mobil 1 synthetic MOTOR Oil, i have heard on a few Vette forums and that is what a few autocross vettes are using...every service manual i have looked in does say 2.8liter but i can garuntee you that mine took more... it took all three quarts and just a little more...

confused

okay, I am a pinch confused now, cuz I just put 4 1/2 quarts in mine and nothing ever oozed out anywhere, but its now not going in anymore either. the fluid level is almost flush with the shifter housing. what the hell am I to do now?

just crack the drain plug and let a bit out or what.

thanks for the help

There's an inspection plug just above the bottom drain plug (about 3-4 inches above). You're suppose to fill it flush with that. Filling it too the top is only going to cause a lot of drag and make a big mess.