Syncromesh in a T-5??

Did you remove the fill plug before you started pouring it in the shifter hole? Sounds like you've overfilled it. You definitely need to lower the level -- or it will "self lower" which will be quite messy. Just put a pan underneath and remove the fill plug and let it drain until it stops coming out of the fill plug (not the drain plug - the fill plug sits a few inches above the drain plug on the same side - passenger). Then put the fill plug back in and clean off the side of the tranny with some brake cleaner. Leave the shifter off til you're happy it's at the right level - want to make it easy for air to enter the tranny while it's draining.

• Sponsors (?)

Consider this...

It's an old driveway mechanic trick to use trany fluid in your power steering pump, right? Anyone ever done this?

Can i use Syncromesh in my power steering??? I've got about a quart and a half left from my Tremec flush/fill because i bought too much....would be cool if it works as well on power steering as it does tranys.

Drained my tranny today. Looked like metallic red paint. LOL. Tranny is screwed. Pops out of 1st all the time. But oh well. Drained it and filled it with 0W-30 Mobil 1. I used 0W-30 just because of the viscosity is thin like ATF. Still pops out of first, and I already knew it wasn't going to fix it. But oh well. I get Mobil 1 for free. Workin' at a shop has its' benifits. And oh yeah... It took less then 3 quarts. Somewhere around 2.8. :) You all must have the car sitting a really steep angle, like the back is jacked up or something. When I replace my trannys (this is the 6th so far, lol) I put the fluid through the shifter, but always put a little less then 3 quarts in it.

mustang88GT said:
i run 10w 40 Mobil 1 synthetic MOTOR Oil, i have heard on a few Vette forums and that is what a few autocross vettes are using...every service manual i have looked in does say 2.8liter but i can garuntee you that mine took more... it took all three quarts and just a little more...

You do know that vettes have different transmissions than mustangs right? Just because they use motor oil in there's doesn't mean you should in yours

85_SS_302_Coupe said:
Consider this...

It's an old driveway mechanic trick to use trany fluid in your power steering pump, right? Anyone ever done this?

Can i use Syncromesh in my power steering??? I've got about a quart and a half left from my Tremec flush/fill because i bought too much....would be cool if it works as well on power steering as it does tranys.

syncromesh is a petroleum based product. You will swell the o-rings inside your rack and casue a bunch of internal leaks and no longer have p/s. You will also contaminate the hoses. Itll make for a expensive job to fix it all. Stick with atf.

85_SS_302_Coupe said:
Consider this...

Actually, only Type-F ATF is recomended in substitute of power steering fluid. Regular Dextron/Mercron II or III is suppose to be a big no, no. Swelling of the seals, excessive detergents, etc.