Systemax + 1.6 rockers = VC's ?

DocG

5th graders > me. They're not bant
Sep 25, 2005
Cincinnati area
Ok. My motor has the full Holley Systemax II system.....heads, cam, intake....etc.

It also has 1.6 roller rocker arms.

Valve covers have been an issue with this setup. I bought the car with the above....and it came with a set of Comp Polymer valve cover on it. They're no longer made from what I can find.....model VHO-32bk /

Anyways.....these composite VC's seem weak....even weaker since they were powder'd.

I'm gonna post some pics.

But....my main goal is to find a set of VC's that fit over 1.6 arms....and under the Holley intake? Without a spacer....that would mean I would need a cowl hood.....

Anyone that says stockers will fit.....well you fail because they do not....well I could probably get it to bolt down....but.....

:nonono:

• Sponsors (?)

I have the holley heads/intake. stock covers (most covers actually) wont work with the holley heads, then its almost impossible to find vc's that fit with no spacer. Ive tried a bunch of different covers, only 2 work, a ugly set of chrome stampe steel and a set of vintage alumimum covers.

If you want i have a 1 inch systemax spacer layin around that ould def get rid of ur problems. You need to get 1 in longer bolts though!!

Where did you get a longer bolt for the middle one that runs through the intake?

Do you think a spacer would work and still clear the stock hood?

Thanks for the input guys.

Maybe I can get my hands on an old stock valve cover to play around with making clearance.

I might stick with my composite ones....they fit, but have cracks at the inside of the bolt holes.

Well I have a friend who is going to give me a stock valve cover so I can play around with trying to get it to fit.

So remove the baffle and grind it out? How much grinding am I looking at? :scratch:

To be honest with you i would just get a spacer at summit racing. Then it will come with the spacer 2 new gaskets and all the hardware for 50-60 bucks.

I saw those. I don't think it will clear a stock hood though. I may have to use a 1" block of wood and some clay or something to check the clearance before going that route.

Oooooh that might open some options then. I certainly do not want to have to buy a new hood. First I'm going to try clearancing a stocker. It looks promising since the height seems fine, its just all the bosses in the way.

If not, I'll grab a 3/8 spacer.

Sorry but another question. Will the 3/8 spacer be tall enough for tall valve covers?

Thanks for all the help guys!

the stock 94-95 mustang or explorer 96-02 5.0 covers will clear rockers. they are the same ones used on the cobra and they came factory with roller rockers. Not the prettiest, but they are cheap and easy to come by.

Anyone that says stockers will fit.....well you fail because they do not

You may say fail, but it does work for me. I have the Systemax intake, TW 170cc heads and stock valve covers that have at least 1/4"-1/2" clearance and the only thing between the upper and lower intake is a single gasket. I did remove the baffle plate, but it's working fine for me. Maybe the Holley heads have a taller valve cover rail.

Here's a picture of mine:

Fordstrokers347-3.jpg

Good luck!

Dean

Oooooh that might open some options then. I certainly do not want to have to buy a new hood. First I'm going to try clearancing a stocker. It looks promising since the height seems fine, its just all the bosses in the way.

If not, I'll grab a 3/8 spacer.

Sorry but another question. Will the 3/8 spacer be tall enough for tall valve covers?

Thanks for all the help guys!

Hey if you get your stockers to work, will you post pics of the grinding and what you had to do? When I finally get around to building my Windsor, I really wanted to reuse my stock VCs.

Yeah I meant them not fitting over my roller rockers. I really don't doubt they will fit under the intake without any spacers. They definetely do not clear my rockers without any work to them. The height seems ok, its the inside width. They fit down onto the head, but about 1/4 too low towards the headers to line up with the bolt holes.

I'm almost done doing some clearancing and will post up if it helps. It has taken forever. I finally found the right combination of tools....a recipricol saw with a metal blade to cut down the length of the boss's....and a dremel to grind down the extra.

This is what I'm working with. The strut tower brace offers very little clearance for any spacers...between that and the hood thus I'm trying to make stockers work.

Picture016.jpg

IMG_0818.jpg