T-3550 in a '65 Coupe

geordie

Founding Member
May 10, 2002
Following my other recent thread, I've decided to retain my T-3550 in my 65 Coupe. I'm having the drive train professionally installed. At the shop today, with the engine and transmission at the 'right angle' and centered it will be necessary to relieve the transmission tunnel hoop, to provide clearance, and to strengthen the existing mount. Hopefully, it will not be necessary to modify the transmission hump itself. The motor is a 302.
A few questions before I authorize them to proceed.
1. What is the correct drive angle?
2. Does anyone know of a transmission mount, made to mount a T-3550 in a '65 Coupe?
Any other advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

Anyone familiar with the T-3550 insides?
My T-3550 seems to be touching the tunnel stiffener with one of the inspection covers. As well as relieving the tunnel stiffener, is it possible to remove the offending T-3550 inspection cover, skim machine the casing, retap the inspection cover bolt holes and re-install the cover?

Thinking outside the box.........:shrug:

the correct angle is:

1. minimizes the angle of each u-joint (max recommended angle dependent on driveshaft speed)
2. working angles of u-joints should be equal and opposite

i commonly see references to driveline angles being three degrees, however without a reference it doesn't tell you much.

modern driveline is another vendor that should have a mount for a 65 with a tremec. however, some of those crossmembers will drop the tail of the transmission to get it to clear. if you are running a z-bar setup, plan on potential binding if you drop the tailshaft.

excessive working angles could lead to fast u-joint wear and/or driveline vibrations.

search kiesler's site. they machine one of the plates on the side to clear as you have questioned. i took the plates off to see if i could do it and decided against that route.

here is what it looks like under one of the plates for your reference.
IMG_5552.jpg

Thanks for the advice guys, however after a great deal of deliberation and research I have decided not to pursue the T-3550 in the '85 solution. I have opted to replace it with a rebuilt T-5Z from a 93 Cobra.

Reasons:
The T-3550 is overkill for my 302.
Less cost, don't have to mod the tunnel.
Less aggravation.
Commercially available mount.
Better overall transmission fit and alignment.