Drivetrain T-45 Removal Tips

Discussion in 'SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech' started by maks3031, Mar 15, 2014.

1. maks3031

maks3031 New Member

Good afternoon,

I am in the process of removing a t-45 transmission from my 1996 GT for a clutch replacement. I have the transmission pulled back but the input shaft needs to go back about 3/4 of an inch to clear the clutch pressure plate. The bellhousing is hitting on the driver side. I wanted to see if any of you know any tricks to get it back any further. Thanks

2. wmburns

wmburns SN Certified Technician

Have you loosened the motor mounts bolts passing through the K-member?

Have you supported the Motor?

Sometimes what will happen is broken motor mounts will allow the motor to sag inside the K-member. Loosing the motor mount bolt will allow the motor to rotate within the K-member. By supporting the motor, it will be higher in the K-member. This should give the extra clearance to separate the transmission.

3. maks3031

maks3031 New Member

"wmburns, post: 8809264, I endedember: 152830"]Have you loosened the motor mounts bolts passing through the K-member?

Have you supported the Motor?

Sometimes what will happen is broken motor mounts will allow the motor to sag inside the K-member. Loosing the motor mount bolt will allow the motor to rotate within the K-member. By supporting the motor, it will be higher in the K-member. This should give the extra clearance to separate the transmission.[/quote]

thanks
    Thanks for the advise. I ended supporting the engine and used a bigrr crowbar and she separated. the throwout bearing is trashed like I thought. Thanks again.

Attached Files: