T-45 Vs TR-3650

Is there any way to get Ford to perform the TSB service if you are out of warrenty ? I know if is a long shot. MY dad's Bullitt needs a new 2nd gear synchro for sure. He beat the crap out of that trans tho. Is there a TSB upgrade kit or do the master rebuild kits include the newer/better parts ?

Are you the guy with the dad thats an X cop that street races now and breaks his car like a kid :rlaugh: I believe the master rebuild kits the best way to go, you get all new synchros and i think shift forks.

• Sponsors (?)

Is there any way to get Ford to perform the TSB service if you are out of warrenty ? I know if is a long shot. MY dad's Bullitt needs a new 2nd gear synchro for sure. He beat the crap out of that trans tho. Is there a TSB upgrade kit or do the master rebuild kits include the newer/better parts ?

If your out of warranty, your out of luck :( .

This is the kit used for the TSB.

PART NUMBER _____________ PART NAME

3R3Z-7124-AC_____________Synchro Kit

XT-2-QDX_________________Mercon ATF

PLUS about 6 hours of labour.

I have a 2005 Mustang GT with a TR-3650.
The shifter location is not the same but the internals for the most part are.

I have drag raced this car from the first day I owned it in April 05.

The car has over 850 1/4 mile passes on it with no trans problems so far.

For the last 12 months the car has been putting out 500rwhp/475rwtq.
Since then the car has made 250 1/4 mile passes on everything from drag radials to full slicks.
It's best time to date has been 11.42 @ 119.92
Its best 60' was 1.52
This is with a race weight of over 3750lbs.

I know many people in the 500rwhp range and there have been very few failures which has surprised me.

The P/N for the synchros has been superceeded by 3R3Z-7124-AD and the MSRP is $1,252.07
The lowest I've seen it for is $920.27
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=searchCatalogOEM&siteid=213787

A synchro kit and some ATF are 900 bux ? WTF ? A master rebuilt complete kit for a T5 with some minor upgrades is like 350.

The TSB kit is not a synchro kit.

It replaces 1st and 2nd gear, the 1-2 synchro assembly (not just the blocker rings usually replaced in a rebuild) the 3-4 synchro assembly and the 1-2 shift fork and rail and the 3-4 shift fork and rail.

As you can see, some components were extensively redesigned

That's also Ford's pricing. They charge $200 for a screw

I don;t know yet. Not too much aftermarket support for the 3650 yet even though it's been out since 2001.

You can find millions of cheap rebuild kits for the t-5 and even aftermarket upgraded gearsets designed for more power, but the 3650 has jack for it yet considering it's been in every non-Cobra Mustang since 2001 and will be in the Mustang for a while.

I couldn't even find you a simple 3650 rebuild kit if i wanted. I just don't know where to get them from yet.

The TSB kit is available only from Ford i beleive. I have the papers on the TSB is anyone wants it. Just email me @ [email protected] and i can forward them to you. They have the part numbers and what comes with the kit on it

My T45 with 65K in an old 97 Cobra worked like a charm. They are built to last, so if you guys that are 2nd 3rd 4th or 10th owners of these cars with 40K-100K. They have made their rounds, and not all people are easy on them, and not all people know how to drive a stick. I got my 97 from the 2nd owner and there were no issues. The car had exhaust and a shifter, and the trans was original.

I am rough with my T45 in my 96 Cobra. I am on my 2nd T45 and about to get a 3rd. But the 3rd will be a 6spd.

As mentioned just look at the T3650 issue thread. Wonder why there isnt a T45 issue thread...?

That being said, I know alot of Stang owners with the 3650 and it holds up fine. I have a T45 and beat the piss out of it and its still shifting great.

They both feel good in how they shift to me... Only advantage to the 3650 IMO is the fact that 5th gear is a little deeper so its easier on the highway if you have 4.10 or greater gears.

They both feel good in how they shift to me... Only advantage to the 3650 IMO is the fact that 5th gear is a little deeper so its easier on the highway if you have 4.10 or greater gears.

That's only with the 2003+ models.

the 01-02 models have the same 0.68 5th gear as the t-45 did before it.

for 2003, tremec put a 0.63 5th gear, which is the same as the Cobra's 6th gear. As a result, with stock gears, you turn very low RPM's on the highway cruising.

at 75MPH, i'm only turning 1900-2000RPM at my car. It's great

My experience with the T-45 has been great so far. Not saying its the best by any means but it does the job. I have an early 01GT with a vortech pushing 380 rwhp and it has held up just fine. I am using the tri-ax shifter which is notchy, but you get used to it and it is way better than the slop it came with.

Does the 01 Cobra have the 3650? I assume so, but someone stated in this thread stated "it's been in every non-Cobra Mustang since 2001" I assume 01 and 02 (if there was an 02 Cobra) had the 3650 while 03 and newer had the T56?

How big of a deal and expense is it to put a T56 in an 01 Cobra? Any benefit for a basically stock 01 Cobra with slightly bigger gears in the rear end? The PO put in new gears, I have no idea what they are. On the highway the speedo reads 95 and I'm going 80 according to the GPS, if that helps.

What was the stock gear for an 01 Cobra?

Thanks,
Sam