t-5 bearing retainer help & general install help

tm4mcgrath1

Founding Member
Aug 31, 2002
South Jersey
Here is the story:
I ordered a new throwout bearing and steel bearing retainer from D&D performance for a used t-5 that is going into my car. I checked the numbers on the transmission and according to this spreadsheet (http://www.moderndriveline.com/Technical_Bits/transmission_spec.htm) the transmission is out of a 1990 car just like the buyer said it was. I'm wondering if I have the correct bearing retainer though, because the one on the transmission now measures 3 1/2 inches, while the one that came from D&D only measures 3 inches. The part I am measuring is the metal shaft where the throwout bearing slides. Now i just noticed that the bearing retainer from D&D has a 1/2 inch longer flange at the base of the bearing retainer so it makes up for the shorter shaft section. Does this make sense to anyone or should I be calling D&D back tomorrow? It looks like the D&D piece will work but I wanted to see if anyone else knows what is up.

Also I am a bit worried about putting the new trans in. I have never taken a transmission out of a car and I am not sure how to support the engine while the transmission is out. I also have to take the bellhousing off to install the new throwout bearing and I have never messed with a clutch or installed a throwout bearing before. I am assuming it just fits onto the clutch release fork, but if someone could throw in a few details of what Im going to have to deal with that would be great. Thanks for taking the time to read this long post :D

• Sponsors (?)

Heres a few tips for ya: When you install the bearing retainer make sure you use some sealant on the retainer or it will leak like a faucet. As for the length, i dont know but I got mine from holcomb motorsports and it worked fine. Also dont forget to get a new seal for the bearing retainer, as it doenst come with one. The to bearing just slips into the clutch fork, you cant really mess it up. I support the engine with a block of wood under the oil pan, and have never had a problem. To make your life easier remove the shifter when removing/installing the trans. When you remove the driveshaft lots of tranny fluid is going to come out of the tailshaft so be prepared. Good Luck, its not all that hard just take your time and ask questions if your in doubt.

93 teal terror said:
now that i think about it....the TO bearing rides doesnt ride right next to the flange so if its the same total length it shouldnt make a difference

I figured out what you just said and as far as the bearing retainer goes. The new unit is the same total length so it works out. My bearing retainer did come with a new seal so all I had to do was pop the race/shim out of the old one and stick that in the new one. Everything is together and finger tight since I have to get some RTV tomorrow (who runs out of RTV!!?!) and seal it up.

Thanks for your help. Its appreciated. :nice:

I also just realized that my longtube headers might get in the way of removing the bellhousing :damnit: Does anyone know if this is going to be a problem? If it is, screw it the damn things were such a pain in the ass to get in Im not taking them out again, at least not unless it involves a recriprocating saw.