T-5 Drain Plugs Stuck??

Mustang anything has gone up in value. These cars aren't as cheap as they used to be. What was once a $100 kit, is not $200-300 or so.

http://www.partstrain.com/store/details/Crown/Transmission_Rebuild_Kit/T5-MASKIT.html?source=bngpla

Typical rebuild kit replaces all the wearables. If the trans shifts fine overall, you can perhaps simply target the issue of noise in 1-2 gear. Unfortunately there is no way to really be sure until you pull the t5 apart.

T-5's are silent transmissions. I've rebuilt several, and when they are new with all near bearings and everything in great shape, then don't make a sound...even with aftermarket shifter. The biggest source of sound, especially in gear 1-3, is when the mainshaft tip starves of fluid and begins to gall. This is when they get noisy. Since nobody ever replaces or repairs the mainshaft, these trans get rebuilt over the years and remain noisy, and people think this is normal.

A new mainshaft may run $300-400+. A rebuild kit these days is $200-300. If any of the gears are damaged, the bill gets higher. That's why it may be cost effective to just buy a new T-5 and keep that one for parts. Years ago, people used to give away T-5's for free or $50 all busted up. I'd get them and sort through them and use the good parts to rebuild a good t-5, and then sell it. Nowadays, you can't find a cheap busted t-5. Parts have gone up.

There is a way to repair the mainshaft. You simply get a machine shop to turn down the galled portion, and then install a sleeve.

Won't know extent of damage until you tear it down however.

This is the area I'm talking about. The input shaft, and 15 roller bearings ride on this tip. When they lack lubrication, and get hot, the surface galls and you get your typical t-5 whine
mainshaft%20final.JPG

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah I need to remember that was almost 18 years ago. LOL

I really want to do the rebuild myself to learn but I am also afraid to see what I am going to find when I open this thing up due to the other stuff I have found from the PO. But I guess if I pull it and open and it just appears to be the main shaft I can go from there and make the decision to rebuild or buy.

Correct me if I am wrong but the rebuild kit you list above doesn't appear to be for World Class T-5 with those brass synchros and no caged needle bearings.

Again thanks for the help and confirmation of what I thought I had learned. Hopefully it will last until I am ready to dive in. I don't drive it hard right now with so many unknowns.

Rebuild kit was a quick link I pulled off. There are others. I would disregard it and do your homework as to the proper kit you'll need. I have seen them up to $300 though. That's the new norm.

What's actually wrong with the T5? If it's just the noise, you can perhaps get away with replacing selected parts, and not do a full rebuild.

Also, the bearings in the T5 are standard bearings from timkin or Torrington that can be purchased separately. They aren't exclusive to the t-5.

It might be as simple as pulling out the mainshaft and repairing/replacing it. You can get small individual parts from vendors like "the gearbox" and hanlon. Ebay has actually been a great source for t-5 parts...new and used.

These trans are pretty simple. They seem complex but once you pull one apart, it's pretty obvious how it works.

Here's some good bathroom reading.
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/techarticles/t5rebuildmanual.pdf

No problem on the link. Thanks and I actually read that already. Only problem with it now is the noise. Shifts fine. It has clean fluid now so it isn't starving for sure. I have just been told that the whining loudly means it could explode at any minute but after thinking through it the whining should just be surface noise for the most part. As long as it has fluid the exploding part should be a less of worry in my opinion. I need to work on front end stuff really.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Helical gears typically don't while...unless very FUBAR. Straight cut gears do whine, which is why reverse is typically loud. Nature of the gear designs.

Signs of galled main shaft is noise in 1-3 that gets quieter as the hear ratios get closer. So 1st gear will be the loudest, 2nd will be a tad bit quieter and 3rd will be quieter still. 4th should be totally silent as the input shaft and main shaft are now turning 1:1. Reverse should be the loudest but it's hard to judge due to the straight cut gears being naturally loud anyway. Plus you don't do 30mph in reverse.

If that sounds like your symptoms, it's def a galled main shaft. Trans won't explode, but it will be annoying as hell and get worse. Eventually it could fail, so you'll want to get to it.

Sent from my big ass iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
That is spot on with the symptoms. I will more than likely rebuild the main shaft over the winter. I have a rear main seal leak as well. But what freaking 20 year old Ford doesnt. Smh I have to get these steering issues worked out. Sucks being a perfectionist. Thanks for your time I really appreciate it. I have probably watched over 3 hours of t5 videos and read several hundred posts trying to learn and it is crazy how you never get the confidence you need due to so many variations.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk