T-5...synthetic or GM synchromesh?

• Sponsors (?)

i just asked the same question yesterday.

in my mm&ff they had a little part that said to run the gm syncromesh on tremecs, and to use dexron 3 for all t-5 transmissions.

then i looked in my chilton and it says not to use dexron, but to use mercon fluid.

im confused, so im going to use whichever i can find, gm syncromesh or the mercon. can anyone clarify this?

Im going to run Syncromesh on my 94 Tranny when it goes on in a few days..Its the best stuff I hear...Also, its safe from what I understand, I searched on google, and everyone uses it, even hondas that require motor oil for the tranny.

ok. this is what it says in MM&FF.

"Well here is one of the only things that GM is good for-- Syncromesh. D&D Motorsports suggests using this fluid only in Tremec 3550 standard and TKO models. Another recommendation by the driveline experts is to properly break in a new or rebuilt transmission when it is first installed. T-5 owners are urged to run Dexron 3 oil in their transmission. A 500-mile break-in period is suggested and at that time you should change the fluid and refill. This is suggested for any manual transmission."

so D&D says not to use gm syncromesh, people use it. they say to use dexron in t-5, chilton says not to. confused..

guess ill just use the syncromesh since i can get that at chevy

as i recall, synchromesh is not a GM product, per se. i think Pennzoil makes it. (i could be wrong).

as for the mercon/dexron confusion, most decent synthetics meet both requirements if that helps with headaches.

good luck.

thanks hissin.

i think im going to go with the gm syncromesh then, pretty sure ill be able to pick that up easily.

stupid question maybe. how many quarts of it do i need to fill trans? my chilton doesn't mention anything, except to fill it level with the bottom of the hole. would just like to know before hand how much i need.

2.6 quarts, IIRC. get 3 and you are good.

i did not comment on the application of the synchomesh, cuz i dont know (if it is ok to run it in a Z-spec T5)

you might want to check with the dealer cuz there was info floating around that there were different flavors of it - a blend and a full synthetic (i think the latter was for the T56). the pricing should tell the story.

im not smart enough to know this stuff, so i go with redline or Amsoil.

good luck and let us know how it goes. :)

oh yeah, can you use M1 in it - you can get that locally. speed shops should have redline and/or Amsoil or Royal Purple too.....just ideas before you do it...:)

88SC_GT said:
:lol: at this point i could really give a **** less. if your using redline and the transmission isin't laying on the ground yet, thats what im going to use.
LOL. hey im not the smartest guy around. i think in your other thread that i said that Yount uses Amsoil in his Z spec (im too tired to remember now). i know he researches stuff a lot and is about 10000000000000000^10000000000000 times more knowledgable than i am - it is probably as good as anything for the Z-spec.

i am thinking of runnin it at the next change myself.....

hope that does not toss a wrench in this conundrum - but a new trans is something you dont want to mess around with. do new trannies need dino trans oil (conventional ATF) for break in? just thought i would toss that out too for someone to answer (and add to this mess). i dont think so, but better to ask. LOL. i will leave now. :)

Cobrawannabe - i apologize. i thought this thread was started by 88SC GT. the info is relevant, but we've been hoggin the thread. sorry bud. :)

transmission has 200 miles on it already from previous owner. it was built by D&D Performance for a sponcered racer. so im thinking the first few hundred mile fluid/fluid change will be covered when i fill it with whatever.

amsoil or redline is what im going to try.

thanks for the help

88SC_GT said:
transmission has 200 miles on it already from previous owner. it was built by D&D Performance for a sponcered racer. so im thinking the first few hundred mile fluid/fluid change will be covered when i fill it with whatever.

amsoil or redline is what im going to try.

thanks for the help
oh yeah, i think you mentioned that before in another thread (it is too late for me).

i bet that thing is well broken-in. LOL. your choices sound good to me. do you know what they ran in it, or did Don, etc have any advice? now im wondering if it needs something special since it was application built....

and i continue to beat this topic..............................

its not application direct, i worded that wrong. a sponcered driver bought it to use. it has modified syncro's, and an extra high geared OD, otherwards i think its a stock t5z.

he ran it with a custom bellhousing in a 99 cobra, a low 10 second car i believe. i emailed him and he said he used the stock t-5 fluid so i think redline or amsoil will work out fine.

88SC_GT said:
its not application direct, i worded that wrong. a sponcered driver bought it to use. it has modified syncro's, and an extra high geared OD, otherwards i think its a stock t5z.

he ran it with a custom bellhousing in a 99 cobra, a low 10 second car i believe. i emailed him and he said he used the stock t-5 fluid so i think redline or amsoil will work out fine.
sounds good. i think this has been beaten enough for now. :)

If you look in the Chilton and it says Mercon, that's fine, Dextron III is good for Mercon. Back then they didn't have Dextron III. But hey, it's a T-5, does it really matter what you put in it?? It's gonna grenade anyways. :)

If I were you I'd listen to the MM&FF magazine......they know what they're talking about. DON'T use synchromesh in a T-5.....the only reason Tremecs use synchromesh is because they have brass synchros! Any ATF will work in a T-5, you won't notice much of a difference in Mercon/Dextron, because it is designed for automatic transmissions that heat up serveral times more than a manual transmission does. Any ATF far excedes what we actually need in a T-5. Of course some synthetic versions may, or may not, make your transmission a little smoother to shift.