T-5 transmission swap on jackstands. is it possible?

fiveoho

15 Year Member
Apr 28, 2005
TN
i dont have the luxury of a lift and neither does any friends of mine. is it possible or has anyone ever pulled the trans out of their car on jackstands?
my main concern was worrying about getting the car high enough and still be stable to slide the trans out from the side.

anyone ever done this?

• Sponsors (?)

i'm definetly open to tips, tricks and suggestions.

what seals do i need to replace? rear main, ....is there a input shaft or tail shaft seal? does anything require grease?

Definately change the rear main seal while you're in there. Don't forget to apply some motor oil on the sealing surface of the seal.

Also, use loctite and RTV sealant on the flywheel bolts.

Use a little grease on the bearing retainer, some on the inside of the throw out bearing, and a little on the splines of the input shaft.

Definately change the rear main seal while you're in there. Don't forget to apply some motor oil on the sealing surface of the seal.

Also, use loctite and RTV sealant on the flywheel bolts.

Use a little grease on the bearing retainer, some on the inside of the throw out bearing, and a little on the splines of the input shaft.

great. thanks for the info.

is there a input shaft or tail shaft seal?

What's a lift? :lol:

AODE's are quite large and heavy.

My car is shown in the background on the following pics:

04stang2.jpg

04stang4.jpg

Attachments

• 04stang2.jpg
    04stang2.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 79
  • 04stang4.jpg
    04stang4.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 72
I have had a hard time finding the output shaft seal for 5 speed cars. I just ask for a 93 AOD auto. seal and it fits fine and works fine.

Getting the car as high as Paul showed us is what you want, if your stands go that high. I didn't have the cars I've worked on that high and the trick is to pull it out so the highest part of the bellhousing comes out through the front wheel well area. Also, if you have a short set and tall set of stands, use the taller ones in the rear so you can support the car by the axle. Alot more sturdy IMO and when you go to reconnect your exhaust, the rear will be loaded down and you don't have to worry about pipes hitting when you let the car back down.

I have had a hard time finding the output shaft seal for 5 speed cars. I just ask for a 93 AOD auto. seal and it fits fine and works fine.

Getting the car as high as Paul showed us is what you want, if your stands go that high. I didn't have the cars I've worked on that high and the trick is to pull it out so the highest part of the bellhousing comes out through the front wheel well area. Also, if you have a short set and tall set of stands, use the taller ones in the rear so you can support the car by the axle. Alot more sturdy IMO and when you go to reconnect your exhaust, the rear will be loaded down and you don't have to worry about pipes hitting when you let the car back down.

trip to autozone i guess?

my parts list:

rear main seal
output shaft seal ( or 93 aod auto seal )
motor oil ( for rear main )
RTV sealant ( flywheel bolts )
grease

*new trans mount? new ES poly for under $38 shipped @ summit

am i forgetting anything?

i done it also, i removed my t-5 and replaced it with my tko500, i used jack stands with no problems..do as members said above theres some good info there and also ensure the exhaust is removable from the shorty headers and just before the mufflers. i had to have flanges welded in to my exhaust at the mufflers so i would not have to remove the whole exhaust its best to get this done at a muffler shop if necessary before swap begins...good luck. oh ya ensure you empty all the fluids before removal and install if not you will have a big mess....

i done it also, i removed my t-5 and replaced it with my tko500, i used jack stands with no problems..do as members said above theres some good info there and also ensure the exhaust is removable from the shorty headers and just before the mufflers. i had to have flanges welded in to my exhaust at the mufflers so i would not have to remove the whole exhaust its best to get this done at a muffler shop if necessary before swap begins...good luck. oh ya ensure you empty all the fluids before removal and install if not you will have a big mess....

thanks bill

my exhaust is gonna be a bia. it will come loose at the shorty's and at the x pipe but everything else is welded.....

thats gonna cause a problem isnt it?