t-bird 8.8.

muh'stang

If I were rich, I'd make sure all the scoops on my
Sep 26, 2003
Quesnel, B.C., Canada
Picked one up with the driveshaft today for $116 from the u-pull it yard. No brake assembly or drums. How can you tell if its trac-loc? did they ever come trac-loc? its an '87, auto so i presume it has 3.73's? Is the driveshaft too long? Yeah 20 questions I know but theyre quite simple.

• Sponsors (?)

You can use your stock driveshaft. It should be a trac loc unit. Whether or not it still works is hard to say. Check the tag on the diff cover to be 100% though. The rear also used disc brakes, not drums which is one of the advantages of the swap

The rear used drums unless it was a Turbo coupe. Auto turbos would have 373s with discs 5 speeds would have 355s with discs. As just a plain jane t-bird? Damn, I had a few! Its an unlucky grab bag at best. You probably have 273s :(

no it was a 5.0L, had drums. Ill go check the tags tomorow. I wasnt planning on picking up the rear end untill i spotted the t-bird. I know the t-birds are a bit wider, that inspired me to start pulling it. Plus my car has a 7.5.

ok so its not 2.73:1. I marked one lug and pointed it at 12o'clock, then I put a wrench on the pinion(?) nut and pointed the wrench at 12o'clock. It took me 3 1/4 turns on the wrench to get the marked lug back at 12 o'clock. Did they make any gears for 8.8's in the 3.10-3.30 area? Its not 3.45 or 3.55, and im fairly certain they arent 3.08 or 2.73.

*something I noticed*-when I disabled the drivers side axle from spinning, it only took me in the ballpark of 1.5 turns of the wrench to get the marked lug back to its 12 o'clock position.