T&J Performance's UNRIVALED Customer Service...worth reading!

DeadLurker

Daily Driven
Sep 7, 2001
New York
I should have created this thread the day I got my car back from T&J, but due to what happened after, I held off...now that everything has been taken care of I wanted to share what happened with you guys.

To make a long story short....I took my car to T&J in june to have a motor, cams, and a lot of other loose ends taken care of. Two weeks later the car was done and I flew down and picked it up. It ran great and drove better than it did before. The power was more than I expected and everything that I wanted to have done was done plus more. Tim was the one who built my motor and Andy handled everything else except for the tuning. I have to admit they both did a great job and exceeded my expectations. :) Also one can not forget Rhonda who amazes me everytime I see her in regards to just how nice a person can be. For anyone who has met her in person or spoken to her, they know what i'm talking about. ;)

Anyway on my way back from GA my car develops a hanging idle. At first it started to idle at 2,000rpms, then eventually made it's way to 3,000rpms, 4,000rpms and at one point 5,000rpms. Now as long as I kept it in gear the rpms would be fine, but if i needed to change gears or put it in neutral it would shoot right up to 5,000rpms. It got so bad that I was able to make it all but 2 miles from my home where I had to pull over and call a flat bed. That's twice now that i've driven home from GA and had to get the car towed home :( Now during this time I was in contact with Tim who was trying his best to help me figure out what is wrong.(Tim provided me with his cell number and even gave me Rhonda's in case I needed to get in touch with him) I check a few things and everything seems connected and the way it should, but the hanging idle just won't go away. Before the end of the conversation Tim tells me that we will try a few things and if we can't get it fixed in a timely manner he will just come up to ny and fix it himself. Honestly I didn't think that was an option due to how busy Tim is always at the shop PLUS it was more likely that I would ship my car back to T&J before Tim came all the way up to NY to see what is wrong.

Two weeks pass, and during that time Tim overnights a new MAF and chip for me to try. I install it with no luck. Then we try a new TPS(throttle position sensor) and IAC(Idle Air Control) valve and still have no luck. At this point Tim wants me to ship the car back to GA at his expense. He's determined to find the problem and fix it. They do some research on car carriers and realize that it would involve another 2-4 weeks down time and Tim didn't to wait that long so he tells me he's coming to ny. At first I found that hard to believe but sure enough he immediately goes out and buys a brand new dodge truck JUST so that he can bring his trailor with him in case he needs to tow my car back and tells me that he and Rhonda will be here(ny) saturday night. Sure enough saturday night he was in NY after a 18 hour ride. Tim drove the whole way from 7am to 11pm and I could tell he was tired.

Sunday morning I bring him over to my place with the trailor and first we decide to pop the hood and see what is going on. Tim looks at my engine bay for less than 5 seconds and finds the problem. He immediately notices that my throttle body screw is out of place and the bolt that holds it in place is missing. Now to me I had no clue how far the screw needed to be and I checked the T/B and didnt' see anything that appeared out of the norm. I kind of felt like a dumb ass considering how simple it was but Tim said I wasn't a mechanic and how was I suppose to know how far the screw was suppose to be. Anyway...a few turns of the screw and some locktight to hold it in place and we were all good to go :) The car idled perfectly afterwards lol. :thumbsup:

So in the end the trailor wasn't necessary but it definitely was a good idea in case the need for trailoring the car back was needed.

Now in terms of Tim, I don't know what to say man. I can't think of any other shop that would drive 900 miles with a trailor just to come fix my car. Tim constantly told me that his main concern was making sure I was happy and it was really bothering him that I couldn't drive it since I got back.

Tim, I can't tell you how much I owe you for what you did regardless of how simple it was. My father was just amazed that any shop would do what you did considering how some of the shops locally have treated me.

I really got to thank you Tim and Rhonda, you guys made it very clear to my father why i've been going 900 miles to a performance shop to get work done. It's one thing to do great work and offer a good price but the way you guys back up your product I just can't see picking anyone else to take my car to. You definitely got me as a customer for life. ;)

thank you ;)
Kamran

• Sponsors (?)

It is stories like these that make me want to have them work on my car.

I am a person that will go back to someone that has excellent customer service skills!

I am in the process of needing a tune and have since decided on T and J for this.

I am glad that you posted this and glad that everything is fine with the car!

It's posts like this that lead me to T&J. I haven't used them yet, but I do have an appointment in three weeks for a major suspension upgrade with them. Can't wait! :)

I wonder if I should have them also do the rear gears and speedcal from Dallas Mustang? I'd like to get it done in the next couple of days since I'm picking up all the parts from Mustangs Unlimited (it's just great to have all these shops in the Atlanta area). I've got plenty of other stuff for T&J to install in the future.

DeadLurker said:
nah i posted it first... :bs:

stangnet just reorganized the posts for some reason....otherwise how do you explain you being able to quote something i didnt' even say yet!! :p
True, on my quote but the first one is what I'm talking about. Look at the times. I win!
kneelsuckers.gif

It's awesome to hear such a good story about a local shop. I did some dealings with Tim when him and Joe were teamed up, very good guy. Unfortunatly for me, they are mostly specialized in 96+ modular motors and not so much as in the older pushrod motors... Very good guys.