T-Loc

Mustang05

Nov 25, 2004
Where is a great place to buy a T-loc or something that does the same thing thats a reasonable price? If you've upgraded how much was the install?? Is it even worth it? Or should i save up for a performance upgrade?

• Sponsors (?)

Mustang05 said:
Where is a great place to buy a T-loc or something that does the same thing thats a reasonable price? If you've upgraded how much was the install?? Is it even worth it? Or should i save up for a performance upgrade?

http://www.v6mustangstuff.com/05Drivetrain.htm

200 bucks for the 7.5" T-lok. I dont think Ive seen it for any cheaper anywhere. I did a bunch of research a while back, but Ive lost all my notes on it now. Its definitely going to be worth it, and is definitely a performance upgrade! Its on my list of things to get for my car... right behind money hehe

^- What he said. The T-lok sends power to both the rear wheels, of just the back right one. That way, its alot easier to get traction and you wont find yourself sitting at the line spinning tires so easily.

One of the main reasons I want one is for safer driving in wet road conditions. Alot of times when I take a corner (even a small one sometimes) and the pavements wet, I can feel the tires start to slip. Its horrible, and Ive already been spun around in a near 180 because of this, near a major intersection (I had taken a right turn away from it.) Each time I can feel that back right tire just spinning away, fighting to get traction, so Im really hoping this will help things a bit. Which it should.

we'll if you burn out, yeah, you'll actually go alittle instead of sitting there. I've seen them on eBay aswell, used from like rangers, for around 100-150. I want one so i can take off around corners and in the rain better. I also think this upgrade would be most valuable to manual drivers so they dont bald one tire on take offs, much more contolled takeoff.

Well i know what it does i was just wondering if you "Felt" a difference.. and yes i have spun both wheels before but only at low rpms.. once it gets higher it changes tojust the right wheel..

fazm83 said:
Both of your rear wheels will spin equally, instead of mostly your right wheel (i believe the new mustang has like an 80/20 split, it is possible to get the left tire to spin ive been told)
There is no 80/20 split. The rear end works by directing equal power to both rear tires. In open differential, like a V6 Mustang's, when one tire breaks loose, the power will be shifted ot the path of least resistance, all going to the spinning tire.

The reason the right rear usually spins is because you sit on the left, adding weight to the left rear wheel and giving it more traction. Floor it in a left turn sometime and you'll see one tire fire from the left side.

It is possible to spin them both, but the stars and planets have to be just right, and you have to have spent the previous night at a Holiday Inn Express.

With an open (normal) differential, power is sent to the wheel with less traction. This is an unfortunate side effect of a traditional differential’s design. Remember, the differential was designed to allow the outside wheel to turn faster than the inside wheel during a turn. Without a differential, handling would be terrible and the (driven) tires would wear very fast. Drag racers (which don’t turn at all) use a design that powers both wheels equally, all the time. While optimal for traction, this design would be *horrible* on a street car.

Under most, normal, driving conditions, the left and right wheels have equal traction so both wheels get equal power. The only real problem with an open differential occurs when one wheel is on a low-traction surface (mud, ice, etc) and so gets all the power and just spins like crazy. A limited slip differential (clutch, torsen, viscous coupling, etc) will allow *some* power to always go to each wheel … so the car will probably move.

On a clean/dry surface, you won’t notice any difference in the acceleration of an open vrs LS differential. In the rain, mud or ice you will be able to get moving quicker with a LS … but you still won’t go very fast. Figure about 20-30% of the power going to the “non-slipping” wheel (which is also probably on water/ice/etc !!!!). Bottom line, don’t expect to be able to accelerate very quickly in the rain or snow regardless of which type you have.

Dutch said:
There is no 80/20 split. The rear end works by directing equal power to both rear tires. In open differential, like a V6 Mustang's, when one tire breaks loose, the power will be shifted ot the path of least resistance, all going to the spinning tire.

The reason the right rear usually spins is because you sit on the left, adding weight to the left rear wheel and giving it more traction. Floor it in a left turn sometime and you'll see one tire fire from the left side.

It is possible to spin them both, but the stars and planets have to be just right, and you have to have spent the previous night at a Holiday Inn Express.

:lol: Now that's funny....