T-Top Conversion Questions

Mustang78

Feb 8, 2006
Aberdeen, WA
I have been reading the searched threads for a couple hours now and dont really have all my questions answered, all i read was opinions...

Anyway I should soon be purchasing a 90' Notch 4cyl for 300.00ish, and i am working on getting the T-Top roof section from a rotted out parts car (in the woods half buried in mud) and buying some T-Tops..the junkyard with the Notch also has a convertible 86..can i use the door glass and weather stripping from the convertible? what parts off the vert can i use for the conversion? keep in mind the only parts i can get from the T top car is the roof itself and the top seals but they're junk...i have already cut it at the pillar and around the side windows..Thanks and i'd like to keep the notch OEM doors, but i can use vert doors if they're in good shape

• Sponsors (?)

I would think the convert doors would be what you want to use as I know the ttop cars didn't have the window frame (obviously). The seals should be easy to find from 5.0 resto or a similar suppier. The roof should have some type of extra bracing (if not now is a good time for it) if there is bracing on the ttop car then you would want that as well. Sound like on hell of a project. You may want to seach an old ford oem catalog and see if the vert doors are the same as the ttop doors.

t-tops and convertibles use the same doors, the t-top will have a front edge (a-pillar) and rear edge of the window spacer that screw into the body to push the weather stripping towards the window the t-top panel will be designed to match the top of the glass. Get weather stripping specific for the t-top.
I had to get the front and rear pieces for my car because of the project I am doing to it and will have to fab up my own top of the window spacers.

4views.gif

Attachments

• 4views.gif
    4views.gif
    133.5 KB · Views: 105
i heard of FEP the vert glass and T top glass are different in the doors, but the doors themselves are the same..Thanks for the Pics BTW and are you doing a full writeup on your conversion?

YW on the pics. I will do some kind of write up on it as I get more done at least on my web site I'm rebuilding right now. I've had to put my build on hold for a while, have other pressing financial matters I have to deal with first. Sure miss driving the Mustang, my wifes Areostar is far from my LX even with 1994 pony wheels on it LOL.

t-tops and convertibles use the same doors, the t-top will have a front edge (a-pillar) and rear edge of the window spacer that screw into the body to push the weather stripping towards the window the t-top panel will be designed to match the top of the glass. Get weather stripping specific for the t-top.
I had to get the front and rear pieces for my car because of the project I am doing to it and will have to fab up my own top of the window spacers.

4views.gif

OMG, those doors... :D

Darren, come back. :(