T45 synchros. Questions here.

I'm done collecting parts for my T45 swap project and the transmission that I have needs new synchros before it goes in. The guy that's reuilding it for me said that he can get new ones for a little under $200.

Is this too much to pay for them? I have no knowledge of manual transmission stuff so I'm not sure if I'm getting ripped or not. If you guys know of anywhere I can get them cheaper (if this guy is asking too much) please let me know. I have to give him the go-ahead to order them on monday if I want the transmission done before next weekend.

Thanks guys!

• Sponsors (?)

FastRedPonyCar said:
I'm done collecting parts for my T45 swap project and the transmission that I have needs new synchros before it goes in. The guy that's reuilding it for me said that he can get new ones for a little under $200.

Is this too much to pay for them? I have no knowledge of manual transmission stuff so I'm not sure if I'm getting ripped or not. If you guys know of anywhere I can get them cheaper (if this guy is asking too much) please let me know. I have to give him the go-ahead to order them on monday if I want the transmission done before next weekend.

Thanks guys!

$200 for a rebuild kit is a lot less than most people think. So you're fine. Those 3650 guys (including me) have to pay $1100 just for the revised parts for the 1-2notchyness and 2-3 grind. And that's not a rebuild it's just certain parts. How much is he charging you to rebuild labor?

Ask him what parts exactly he is getting for $200.

The synchro blocker rings are cheap, maybe $20 each and there are 5 of them

Everything else synchro related is a hard part (major trans component) and about $80-90 each.

Most trans rebuild kits are in the $100-200 range. These include not only the synchro blocker rings, but also bearings, shims, misc springs and other replacable wear items.

Here are some of the items in a basic rebuild kit. This one has what i beleive you mechanic is talking about.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...tem=7914744350&category=46103&sspagename=WDVW

For $200, you could get a more advance kit with new bearings and such.

Contact Hanlon Motorsports www.hanlonmotorsports.com as they have T-45 rebuild kits.

Like i said before though, these rebuild kits do not come with hard transmission parts. Sometimes, the dog teeth on the gear that the sycnrho engages get chewed up on a hard forced shift. This can wear the sycnrho slider ring. Each is about $80-100 to replace depending on what gear.

Most often though, just the blocker rings need replacement

KaPPaBaLL said:
$200 for a rebuild kit is a lot less than most people think. So you're fine. Those 3650 guys (including me) have to pay $1100 just for the revised parts for the 1-2notchyness and 2-3 grind. And that's not a rebuild it's just certain parts. How much is he charging you to rebuild labor?

That's cuz we are getting a lot more than a basic rebuild kit.

They aren't really rebuilding our trans, they are replacing major components.
We are getting
New 2nd gear
new 1-2 slider
new 3rd gear
new 3-4 slider
new shift forks
new shift rails
New blocker rings (these are what is changed in normal rebuild kit)

Those gears and sycnrho sliders are at least $150 each. Right there is $600

A normal basic rebuild kit usually comes with just the blocker rings, bearings, seals, synchro springs, and other minor wear items. Nothing major like gears and synchro sliders. $150-200 is typical for what you would pay for this for a T-5, T-45 and possible even the T-3650 when a commercially available kit becomes available.

he's charging $300 for labor and the random little shims, bearings and the usual wear and tear items. It was just that he had to order the syncros from cali and was saying that they would be $200 shipped and was just checking to get the go ahead to get those also (he said the tranny was in good shape but while it was apart he'd like to replace those as a precaution).

I actually got teh tranny itself with bellhousing for $75. so with the rebuild stuff and labor and his syncro price, it'll be a little less than $600 for an essentially new transmission.