T5 Question, What would you do?

I'm going to be doing the t5 swap next year and I am not sure if I want to buy a trashed transmission and have a local shop totally rebuild it, or if I want to buy one online that is "already rebuilt." Does anyone know a ballpark price for what it would cost to have a t5 rebuilt at a shop? If I bought the t5 rebuilt online it would cost about $1000 because I have no core (AOD). I would rather buy a t5 with a blown gear or something and have it rebuilt if I can get that accomplished for under $1000.00. Anyone have any experience with any of this? Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

Instead of shelling out the cost for a core, you can find a bunch of them at a junkyard... the 4 cylinders had them, as well as the 5.0's last time we were out at a local pick and pull, they had a pile of about 12 of them sitting in a corner of the lot. i think they were 150 bucks each. just grab one like that, and use that for your core. :shrug:

Plus, with the money youre going to spend on having someone rebuild it, you might as well get one with a warranty if possible. its going to run you about the same either way. Or you can always rebuild your own...

http://www.pomoforacing.com/tech/T5Rebuild2002.pdf

but if youre not mechanically inclined, i dont recommend it.

How much power do you plan on putting down eventually? If it's going to be significant you might as well get a busted one and have a shop put an astro performance rebuild kit in it. That will cost a little more than rebuilding a T-5 to stock specs and having it not last too long. If it's going to remain mostly stock then a stock bebuilt T-5 should be fine.

if/when I blow my tranny I will go to the pullapart and pull one out of a 4cyl, plus you can buy a warranty now at my pullapart so I'll buy a tranny, put it in then when/if I blow it or its already blown then I'll just go back and get another one for free. They are 43 dollars and the warranty is 11 dollars!