T5 Question

nugget68

Sep 26, 2005
I have a question about a T5...I am planning on swapping my c4. I found a guy that has a wrecked 94 v6 w/ a T5, I know the bell is deeper, so no need to discuss that, my main question is, the trans has 160,000 miles. the guy says he never had a problem with it shift or anything, says it was always really smooth. is 160,000 mies too much? I think that since it was behind the v6 and not the v8 it should be less abused...the guy wants $300 for it and the rearend from the same car, which i need the axles and brakes for my fox rear i have. my engine is stock except for a weiand intake and 600 holley. i am not looking to build a high hp motor, and when i do decide to build the motor i will probably just shoot for the 300-325 range. so what do you guys think? that price also includes the bell and cable...

• Sponsors (?)

I don't think that rear will do you any good. I'm pretty sure its not an 8.8, so it won't hold up to a V8. I can't say about the transmission, but from what I have read, its not a good option for a V8 car either.

Even with a planned mild build, you will be happier holding out for a V8 trans. Take the time to research, and collect the other stuff you will need, like clutch pedal, linkage/cable/hydraulic parts. new rear end gears, etc....

From what I recall, there are two things you need to take into account here.

The first is the bellhousing, which you already know. THe second is the input shaft. The bellhousing was deeper to push the shifter on the transmission further back and as such, the input shaft is longer.

There is no difference between a V6 T5 and a V8 T5.

300-325hp will be your limit at best (you can offset this a little with steeper gears), so if you're going to drive it hard then be warned that you might end up cracking the case or taking 3rd gear out.

With that many miles on, it'd suggest a rebuild. New bearings, synchros, etc (plus, you're going to need to replace the input shaft). I rebuilt the T5 I have in the 67 now and it was a pretty simple job, but it all depends on your mechanical ability; if you don't feel comfortable then see what some shops would charge (both with you providing the parts and you not providing the parts).

im gonnaa use the bell from the v6 too...that way i wont have to change out the input shaft and it will put the shifter at a little better reach...i dont plan on driving it hard until i ebuild the trans, which will be when i pull the motor, which looks like it pretty far away. i know with teh deeper bell i will most definately have to have the dshaft shortened, not a big deal. the rear end i wasnt going to use, i was goig to use the axle and brakes in my fox 4 lug rear i have...

The T5 from 94 v6 has the same ratings for torque and gear ratios as the earlier 85 to 89 5.0 Mustangs. If I remember correctly the input shaft might be long. I would also think with that many miles on it, it would be a crap shoot on how many more it had left in it.
I put together some info on finding T5 for early mustangs and what to look for. It also shows how to ID a world Class one if the tag is missing.
How to ID a T5

I talked to the guy last night whom i am thinking about buying this trans from...he said i could have the trans and bell for $200. I think if i try i can deal him down to $175, so I think that at that price, even with a rebuild it should be a pretty good deal...

I think the speedometer output on the V6 is electronic pulsed and not a mechanical cable like we have in our cars. You may want to check that out to be sure or you might be having to deal with gauges. I have heard the shifter is 1 inch farther back so you will be also cutting some of the tunnel to get it to work.
Did a quick Google but the only thing I could find was here: Ford Mustang: Mustang Tech: Transmission and Drivetrain: Borg Warner T5 Transmission data
The hardest thing I found on my T5 was getting all the information and choices ironed before I started the conversion. T5, bell housings, flywheels, diaphragm clutch or 3 finger, cable/z bar/hydraulic actuators, mounts, driveshaft, etc... all must be picked before you start. It is a jigsaw puzzle and all the parts must fit and work.
Sorry I dont have all the information on the V6 T5 because I went with a 89 V8 T5. Just raising my hand to say you might want to check it out before you commit to go that direction.

that trans is the same as the 90+ v8 trannies...great trannies.

Never waste your cash on rebuilding something that's not broken. I rebuild t5's...if it's not broken, it's not broken!!!

I'd be interested to see how you plan on using the aftermarket t5 x members with a trans that sits further back.

the elec speedo units can also be changed by cutting a slice in the input, switching to a mechanical gear on the mainshaft, and switching out the tail

the v8 trannies of that year were a mechanical driven speedo, I'm not so sure the v6 cars had the elec speedo yet

that trans is the same as the 90+ v8 trannies...great trannies.

Never waste your cash on rebuilding something that's not broken. I rebuild t5's...if it's not broken, it's not broken!!!

I'd be interested to see how you plan on using the aftermarket t5 x members with a trans that sits further back.

the elec speedo units can also be changed by cutting a slice in the input, switching to a mechanical gear on the mainshaft, and switching out the tail

the v8 trannies of that year were a mechanical driven speedo, I'm not so sure the v6 cars had the elec speedo yet

As far as the mount goes, i plan on either modifying the existing or fabricating one. shouldnt be too hard...

dont be scared about that trans at all. i have a 68 stang 300 hp efi 302 with a t5 from a turbo 4cyl mustang everyone said it will never last well i know guys who break the tko 500 and 600 so in racing anything can break. i beat the crap out of my 4 cyl t5 but i use the stock 8" rear with 3.00 rears a stock clutch and stock size tires to keep it alive.

i think that is a good idea since that trans shifter sits back more. i dont really care for the long laid back shifter you need with a regular t5. im 5' 10" and i have my seat all the way back and i had to make my own shifter for it to comfortable.

Hey a topic I can comment on:rolleyes:
I put a 97 V6 T5 behind the 302 in my 66 coupe. Obviously the input shaft length and bell depth differences are known, but this actually put the shifter dead center in the factory shifter hole on my car. The V6 bell will bolt up to a V8 but you'll need a different block plate, flywheel (need a 164 tooth, whatever balance unit) and starter. I started down that road but the flywheel is an odd piece and decided to find a 5.0L bell instead. I did find one later in case I want to do this on the wife's 66 coupe... Most important is the clutch fork hole. It's lower on the bell and did interfere with my Flowtech long tube headers. I went hydraulic and shortened the fork for clearance. Fabricate the mount it'll be easier.