T5..questions

davs427

Sep 12, 2011
Hi. Ive researched the crap out of this and feel confident. But while looking for a used T5 it seems that most people dont really understand what a T5 World class means or what year is what. Frustrating. Now I found a 89 T5 (265 Trq rating)that needs new synchros and can rebuild it. Now the 90 is when they used a heavier duty gearset and upped the torque rating to 300.
My question is.. is it worthe rebuilding (without replacing the gearset) and putting it behind my 5.0 with some add ons, approx 300hp with limited track use?? Or should I hold out for a 90 or newer?

Wayyy down the road I could see rebuilding using the tremmec 2.95 gearset.

• Sponsors (?)

It depends on what your budget looks like and how much work you are willing to do. If you got a really good deal on it, I would use it just to get the car going until I had enough $ to get a good trans. suited for what you're gonna use it for down the road...I'm in the same boat you're in...I'm probably gonna use a t-5 from a 4cyl. to start with because it's cheap, and I'm on a tight budget. I'm hoping it'll last long enough for me to be able to afford something better!

I guess it boils down to whether or not you want to replace the trans. again in the near future. If you wanna do it once, I'd recommend waiting until you found the right trans, or had the cheese to buy a new heavy duty unit. If you don't mind the hassle of removing, and reinstalling the trans, then use the one you're lookin at if it has been inspected, or is fit to use. In my novice opinion, it would hold up as long as you weren't rompin' on it at every red light...just my 2cnts...

You can blow up either with a good launch. If you find a deal on an 87-89 T-5, i wouldn't pass it up. Plus if you are going to swap to the 2.95 gearset down the road, it wont matter.