T5 SnAPS!...again

66fstbk88

Jun 17, 2008
im currently running a worked 351w behind a T5 and 3.25gears.. last month i lost 3rd gear, this month i lost 2nd gear.. now i was wondering if theres a way to build my T5 any stronger? or what other options do i have on parts/trannys?

• Sponsors (?)

G Force sells an upgrade kit with stronger gears and/or main and counter shafts. You can find info on their website. Depending on your usage and power, you may want to go to a TKO.

you wont like it...you have to cut your tranny tunnel, and enlarge it...i dont know all the details, I'm planning on a T-5, and reducing the torque of my 5.0 as much as possible in the hopes of it living longer

you wont like it...you have to cut your tranny tunnel, and enlarge it...i dont know all the details, I'm planning on a T-5, and reducing the torque of my 5.0 as much as possible in the hopes of it living longer

Wow, That comment bugs me on some many different levels as someone who has done this mod and think it was the best thing I have ever done to my car. You have to cut the tunnnel, shorten the driveshaft and spend some money on the speedo but whats the big deal. If you want a bulletproof, slick shifting, close ration six speed transmission this is it.

Reducing your torque???:jaw:

View attachment 278440

Wow, That comment bugs me on some many different levels as someone who has done this mod and think it was the best thing I have ever done to my car. You have to cut the tunnnel, shorten the driveshaft and spend some money on the speedo but whats the big deal. If you want a bulletproof, slick shifting, close ration six speed transmission this is it.

Reducing your torque???:jaw:

View attachment 278320

well, most people dont like cutting up their classic mustangs(especially fastback owners) I personally wouldnt mind but thats just me, as for reducing my torque, I should rephrase that, reducing my low end torque....say a short runner sheet metal intake for instance....mine will be turbo anyway, which of course will add a good chunk of power....I just want it usable....too much low end torque=wheelspin....but then I am used to FWD at this point, with the neon 1st gear is worthless and it just aggravates me, 2nd is almost as bad, so I try to shift my powerband a bit higher, use electronic boost controls(through MegaSquirt) and whatever other tricks i can use to maximize the traction, RWD I am sure will be better...I'm just being cheap though in wanting to stick with the T5 I guess

I like it. The tunnel mod wasn't a big deal. Is that all you don't like about the T56 swap? What experience do you have with the T56 swap? Have you ever done the T5 swap? I went from C-4, to toploader, to T5, to T56 in my car over the past 10 years. Other than the hump, it's basically a T5 swap. The same issues need to be addressed, shorter driveshaft, crossmember and speedo mechanism. I haven't met a single person that was disappointed with the T65 after the swap. After building my 408 I was looking for a TKO, but the new Viper T56 I found locally was cheaper so I jumped on it. I like cheap too, it's not easy funding my projects on an E5 budget. I hope you are able to reduce your torque out of your 5.0 so it will live longer. See, I'm being nice. If you change your mind, I'd be glad to help you through a T56 swap. :flag:
View attachment 278078

holy crap, all i meant by "you wont like it" was the reference to cutting up a classic mustang, I simply meant that most people dont like doing that(again, i wouldnt mind, but I am not most people) I also stated very clearly that i didnt have the details not having done the swap, thats all I meant people, sheesh, I didnt mean a thing about not liking the tranny, I also didnt offer any technical advice