T5 Swap in progress, ran into a snag

Recently picked up a used T5 from an 87 2.3. Running into a snag though. When test fitting the driveshaft from my car, it didn't want to mate up to my new T5. I tried it with the tranny upright and also level on the ground. Rotated the driveshaft, and generally fiddled with it for about 20 minutes. Am I missing something here? Does something need to be replaced? Kinda confused and wondering if the seller was misinformed about tranny type. But even if it was from a 5.0, it should still fit, shouldn't it? So is my driveshaft or tranny buggered, am I just going about this the wrong way or what?

Oh, of interest. Took off the A4LD pan to drain fluid prior to removing driveshaft, and guess what? Metal shavings and chunks were swimming in the sludge at the bottom of the pan. There is metallic "dust" throughout the fluid and the fluid itself smells of paint varnish. Lucky the thing managed to grind home after the test drive the other day. I'll try to get pics of it when I can. I have engine pics as well that I'll post when I reload stuff from old computer to drop the size and when I find a good site to host the images. Suggestions?

• Sponsors (?)

I just did this swap a few months back. The auto driveshaft is too short and the yoke is different. You will need a DS from a 5sp car, either 5.0 or 2.3 will work.

Yep, driveshaft. Try to get one from a 2.3 if you can, just for peace of mind. I ran into the same thing, except I had picked up an SN95 V6 driveshaft - thought it was the same. :( Luckily a guy on my local board had one lying around from a 2.3-5.0 swap, so he gave it to me for free. Good luck!

Ash

Ok good (well sort of). I was actually thinking about getting the aluminum driveshaft. Is the T5 driveshaft a standard length regardless of models within the Fox chassis?

(edit) Would the driveshaft from a 96 Crown Vic work with the Fox chassis?

I highly doubt it, it's not even a Fox. And yes, the aluminum DS would fit, but it's gone up in price recently....dunno what your budget it, but it's out of mine. :p

Ash

stinger you're right. thougth about that earlier, but was away to correct it. $30 shipped. when is that exhaust going to be ready. i want the single with high flow cat. still need to paypal you a deposit though.