T5 Swap Parts needed?

bad98rt

Mar 27, 2006
Indiana
I currently have an aod trans and i want to swap to a t5 or tremec. Does any body know of a guide on the interenet or a book that may go over the entire swap. Also I would like to know what other parts are needed for the swap. Any help would be awesome.

• Sponsors (?)

all you need to do is go to the junk yard and find a 5 speed car.Take out he pedals, I think its four bolts. From there i would go and get an aftermarket cable and quardrant with firewall adjuster, A bellhousing, flywheel,clutch,clutch fork if the bellhousing doesn't have one in it allready,A trans of couse, a shifter.Im pretty sure u can reuses your drive shaft.It's not that hard of a swap.

Go to the tech section at www.westcoastfords.com its mostly what I used when I did mine, along with helpful tech advice from everyone on here. A word to the wise: If you plan on putting down a lot of power eventually and youhave the cash, go with the tremec or G-force setup from the get go. I did my swap and blew the T-5 sky high right at 500 miles. Damn 3rd gear!

im going to be doing the swap this weekend, my list of parts:

t5 trans
bellhousing
clutch fork
block spacer plate
flywheel
clutch kit with pilot and throwout bearings
clutch and flywheel hardware (you can reuse the flexplate bolts, but i went ahead and got new arp stuff)
shifter
shift lever
shift boot
shift knob
console trim ring
speedo gear if you have a different ratio (i got a t5 out of a 92, which i cant make accurate for the 4.10's ive got)
pedal assembly
cable (i also got a steed quadrant and firewall adjuster, dont know if im going to use the fwa or not immediatly)

Is the speedo gear hard to do? Where is it? I never knew where it was and I always wondered. I just had 3:73's put in my AOD mustang and they put the correct speedo gear in. I'm thinking about doing the t5 swap but I dunno if i would have to do the gear again.

Is the speedo gear hard to do? Where is it? I never knew where it was and I always wondered. I just had 3:73's put in my AOD mustang and they put the correct speedo gear in. I'm thinking about doing the t5 swap but I dunno if i would have to do the gear again.

all depends on what year the trans is. the later (i think 91?) t5s have a 7 tooth drive gear, while the older ones have a six tooth. from what ive seen, the six tooth has more available combinations with driven gears to correct for rear-end ratios. theres charts around on the net (i know the frpp site has it somewhere) that show which gears you want for different ratios. i just ordered a kit from 50resto that has the correct drive and driven gears for the 4.10's ive got (6 tooth drive, 19 tooth driven gear). its not all that hard to do change, pop off the shifter base, pound out a roll pin, unbolt the tailhousing, and the drive gear is right there held on with a clip. the driven gear is even easier, just on clip on the end of the cable.

all depends on what year the trans is. the later (i think 91?) t5s have a 7 tooth drive gear, while the older ones have a six tooth. from what ive seen, the six tooth has more available combinations with driven gears to correct for rear-end ratios. theres charts around on the net (i know the frpp site has it somewhere) that show which gears you want for different ratios. i just ordered a kit from 50resto that has the correct drive and driven gears for the 4.10's ive got (6 tooth drive, 19 tooth driven gear). its not all that hard to do change, pop off the shifter base, pound out a roll pin, unbolt the tailhousing, and the drive gear is right there held on with a clip. the driven gear is even easier, just on clip on the end of the cable.

Here's an ID chart
http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2000/09/t5swap/index2.shtml

My honest advice, do the pedal swap first and plan on taking your time, it can be a little time consuming but well worth taking your time, you will be well satisfied when the whole job is complete