T5 Vibration Question

hoopty5.0

mechanicus terribilis
15 Year Member
Dec 14, 2010
SW Houston
My car vibrates at 2k rpm, regardless of gear or speed. Free revving in neutral or with clutch in has no vibration whatsoever which eliminates the driveshaft or motor, I've tested it all and it have ruled out everything but the transmission. Another knowledgeable mustang friend thinks its the bearing at the back of the input shaft causing the issue. Can anyone else confirm/deny this?

• Sponsors (?)

If I am picturing the right bearing, pushing in the clutch should eliminate the connection to this bearing. Always at 2k rpm sounds like the time a Chevy mechanic messed up my engine's balance. But that did it in neutral or in gear. And it really shook. How much are we talking, annoying vibration, slight tremor or spill your big gulp shaking?

If I am picturing the right bearing, pushing in the clutch should eliminate the connection to this bearing. Always at 2k rpm sounds like the time a Chevy mechanic messed up my engine's balance. But that did it in neutral or in gear. And it really shook. How much are we talking, annoying vibration, slight tremor or spill your big gulp shaking?
Annoying vibration. Mounts are all good, balance test was done a month ago and is good. I got the trans sold and am putting in a 3550 now, so it's pretty much a moot point. The transmission has most definitely been rebuilt, so I bet it's something internal that was missed/done incorrectly.

Please let us know how it works out! If your balance was off for the year of the motor, it would have shook on the Richter scale. These oddball problems are a pain, and your answer might help someone else.

Reactions: 1 user
Please let us know how it works out! If your balance was off for the year of the motor, it would have shook on the Richter scale. These oddball problems are a pain, and your answer might help someone else.
Well I am selling it to a local friend who will open it up and fix it. I will be sure to follow up on it.