t56 install problem

Chronos[AsG]

Dec 20, 2003
NC
So I've spent the last week or so working on my t56 conversion and I'm almost finished. The clutch and pressure plate were installed tonight and the bellhousing is attached to the block (seperate from the transmission). However once the transmission gets lined up it stops about half an inch before its fully seated to the bellhousing. It feels like its bottoming out but I can't find what it could be hitting. :notnice: The alignment tool looks exactly like the tranny input shaft and it goes in with no problem. I'm giving up for the night and was just wondering if anyone had any ideas of what could be wrong.

Parts list, just to avoid the obvious questions:
Stock 94-95 Pilot bearing
Fidanza steel flywheel
King Cobra clutch and pressure plate
Cobra version t56 (10 spline input shaft)

if im missing anything feel free to ask. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

im helping justin with the install so tomorrow i guess we will try that. we were gonna try to install the bellhousing on the tranny and do it that way. maybe we will have better luck tomorrow. thanks for the info

yeah it doesn't take much to get the clutch disc out of alignment.

But my little trick is to get it to where it's about 1/2 inch from going in, and hook up the clutch cable and have some push the pedal (might need to pull up on the cable to get the cable tensioned first). It should go right in from there.

Scott

why did you seperate the bell?

i did mine a few weeks ago and had the same issue you are having. i just made sure the tranny is in gear and roll it around a bit.

takes a bit of fanangaling but it will go--make sure you leave it in gear.

bimmertech said:
why did you seperate the bell?

i did mine a few weeks ago and had the same issue you are having. i just made sure the tranny is in gear and roll it around a bit.

takes a bit of fanangaling but it will go--make sure you leave it in gear.

we got it all together and running. now the only problem is reverse. what did you use for the reverse lock out switch? the harness that we had didnt have a plug for it and i dont know if there is a harness with that plug that will work or if we just have to deal with it or rig something up. let me know what you used so we can get this figured out

to use the reverse lockout feature I refer you to this:

http://www.drivetrain.com/gmt56inst.html

trannie13.jpeg

The part number listed in the diagram is a GM part number FYI. There's also an article here on stangnet about installing a T-56 here :
http://www.stangnet.com/pbullitt/tremect56/index.html

which they use a Mighty Might part #85100 for the connector.

they use a momentary switch to engage the reverse lockout, but I chose to use my brake on/off switch as the momentary switch, i.e. when I hit the brake pedal I can use reverse. Some would say that maybe a little dangerous, especially downshifting from 6th to 5th but from my experience I've had no problems with the setup I have.

I know this is an old thread, but this is the topis I have been researching. Did you ever completely finish your install?

I'm mainly trying to figure out if the shifter will be moved if the mcloed bellhousing is used along with the stock 10 spline oem cobra t56. Also exactly what else did you need? I have seen people talk about different forks, adapter plates, slip yokes, fork stud.....What did you do for the speedo and electronics. I have a speedcal and am tring to figure out how that will work.

Thanks