tach stopped working, spun around

AdamantiumKnot

Founding Member
Sep 29, 2001
nj
98 gt. convertible, manual transmission.

i was driving home from the shore today i was in third gear and my tach spun all the way around and pegged itself past the trip mileage on the other side of the peg. it would wind back to almost what would be 8,000 rpms on some of my shifts, but otherwise nothing. thankfully i know the car just by sound and gear since i've been driving it for 8 years. checked the fuses nothing looked blown. has anyone ever had a similar problem?

• Sponsors (?)

I'm gonna ride sidecar with you in this thread because I'm having a problem with my speedo doing that. It will go up to like 75-80 and occasionally will wrap around until it's under the needle. The only way I can get it back around is to go warp speed fast or take the cluster apart. It's like it has a mind of its own.

Apparently this is common on alot of Ford tach(so a Ford mechanic told me) The fix they recommend at the dealership is to replace the cluster(of course) or there is a diode on the back side of the cluster that fails. If you're so inclined it can be fixed but you'll definately need some expertise in electronic repair or you'll have to take it somewhere.

Apparently this is common on alot of Ford tach(so a Ford mechanic told me) The fix they recommend at the dealership is to replace the cluster(of course) or there is a diode on the back side of the cluster that fails. If you're so inclined it can be fixed but you'll definately need some expertise in electronic repair or you'll have to take it somewhere.

Yes that is right. It's a cluster problem.

mine does the same thing all the time,usually if i stop after that then start accelerating it will actually start making its way backwards then i give the cluster a good tapping on and it comes back around.or you can take a paper clip,straighten it out and it will fit thru right around the mileage reset and you can get it back around.

still stuck, no longer moves at all. where can you get a cluster at a decent price? it doesn't bother me because i know the car well enough, but if anyone else drives it, it probably won't be pretty. is there an easy way to remove the plastic?

take the 2 screws out of the bezel,pull it out then there are like 6 or so screws that hold the entire thing in.you can unbolt the plasctic front from the actual cluster also.

cool, thanks! i noticed the two screws when i was on my way to hockey practice today. i'll check it out if i get some time. if i have to replace it, does anyone else have a link to any sites selling them? possibly custom ones?

have you guys tries pushing the trip reset-hard. itll keep it working temp. had the same prob on my 98 gt

omg guys, this is like a chapter outta my life. Mine has been doing this forever, it goes all the way around and only comes back when u give it full throttle to come backwards back around. Then it'll still sometimes fall dead on the left (correct) side until you press the millage reset button hard, but then after hard throttle it'll go back around!
Doesnt seem to be any clusters for 96-98's, only for new edges - proly cuz of electronic millage counter. Where can we buy a new cluster?

i found some on ebay, and even a cobra one (nice) but it has the car's original miles on it - isn't it illegal to have different milage counter in ur car?
Shouldn't a cobra cluster work on a GT even tho the red line and speed are higher? I read that if you swap out the circuit board from ur stocker to the new cobra cluster the reading will work.

so yesterday i was merging onto a two lane road and i just rung it out in first gear at a slow pace and about where i'd be hitting 5,000 rpm's the tach kicked back up to there and started working again. when i shifted into second it dropped back down to like 3,000. sweet, fixed itself for now. hope it doesn't become a problem like the IAC a while ago.

so yesterday i was merging onto a two lane road and i just rung it out in first gear at a slow pace and about where i'd be hitting 5,000 rpm's the tach kicked back up to there and started working again. when i shifted into second it dropped back down to like 3,000. sweet, fixed itself for now. hope it doesn't become a problem like the IAC a while ago.

it'll go back around, you just wait.