Tachometer is sticking!

StangIt #1

Founding Member
Oct 25, 2001
Washing the Car
The stock tach on my '98GT has been "sticking" for the past year, and it's just about to drive me crazy! When I first start the car, the tach revs up as normal, but will then either stick at around 2K rpm's or flatline. While I'm driving, the tach sticks at random points between flatline and 2600 rpm's. I checked with Ford last summer, and they told me that the entire gauge assembly has to be replaced in order to remedy the problem (including having the stock assembly sent back to FoMoCo to have the odometer reading set). I have already tried removing the assembly from the dash and cleaning the copper contacts on the back with electric contact cleaner, but this did absolutely nothing. I also checked to be sure that the tach needle wasn't rubbing against the gauge faces by lightly moving it with my finger. Has anybody else experienced this problem? If so, what did you do to remedy it? Thanks in advance!

• Sponsors (?)

mity2 said:
mine still sticks once in the while when its cold out. But she is now garage queen when its cold out, so no issue with me now

Okay, so did you do anything to the gauge to remedy the issue (other than parking it in cold weather)? Mine doesn't differentiate between cold/hot weather.