Tacky? Or Personal Preference?

UndrTheAZstrz

Apr 15, 2004
ArIzOnA
:shrug: I'm at a loss, today was my first day owning my 97 Mustang... The previous owners had a sound system that was unfortunately stolen so the first thing I did, replaced the stereo.... My car is Patriot blue, so I figured that a blue faceplate would look good, needless to say I wasn't even thinking about the other colors on the dash... (which are green and orange (except to my color blind b/f)).... So do I leave the blue faceplate or change it out for a green one that matches the dash??? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

There are a ton of white face gauges out there that give you options on a single color, or multiple colors. They are all pretty much the same. I wouldn't suggest getting the MAC whiteface gauges as mine looked horrible at night on my 98.

BTW, you get to eat the shipping charges even though they sold me a defective product.

Also, I went with Indiglo, and the set I picked up can be changed between green and blue. Some have 5 or 6 colors, and there is even colored needles now, but they require that you have the clear needles, not the orange ones. Just a thought.

THey require clear needles? To start off I don't know what you mean by needles and I'm assuming since I have the orange on my dash you are saying I can't do anything anyways... where would I look to find the colored sets?

Whitefaced gauges do not require clear needles, only the clear needles are required for a kit that changes the needles colors.

The needles are the little pieces of plastic shaped like arrows that point to the numbers on the gauge faces. You would have to get the needles, only available as an entire gauge pod purchase as I haven't seen them available sold seperately. You could try a delarship or eBayMotors where I picked up a used pod with clear needles for $20. Or try here...

http://www.mustangsalvageparts.com/home.cfm?section=about/links

MarvinMyCat said:
Whitefaced gauges do not require clear needles, only the clear needles are required for a kit that changes the needles colors.

The needles are the little pieces of plastic shaped like arrows that point to the numbers on the gauge faces. You would have to get the needles, only available as an entire gauge pod purchase as I haven't seen them available sold seperately. You could try a delarship or eBayMotors where I picked up a used pod with clear needles for $20. Or try here...

http://www.mustangsalvageparts.com/home.cfm?section=about/links

Well, go figure you easily make me sound like an idiot :hail2: thanks for the help, it's def something I wouldn't mind looking into..... I LOVE blue and decking out the inside would be awesome....

Making you sound like an idiot wasn't the intention I had when responding to your thread, merely the fact that I was trying ot help you out.

Okay, I just wrote 3 paragraphs, and deleted them. Starting over...

I was looking at the color changing needle kits on eBayMotors, and think that the needle kits would look better on BLACK stock gauges, not white faced gauges. Maybe, they would look pretty cool of white ones, but you would have to get white gauges that would glow BLUE at night, since you want to go with the blue color.

Now when I saw that they are white faced gauges that are blue at night, I mean you would have to look for the REVERSE glow kind, where the entire gauge face glows leaving the black silk screened numbers and lines black at night. Autometer and Indiglo have them.

Since the stock color on the gauges is green, I would consider this option above or change your mind and go with green needles instead. Or stay with stock gauges that are green at night with blue needles. It's up to you.

I also tried looking around my garage for the clear needles I had, but I must have thrown them out. Figures. I knew there was a reason I hesitated and thought about keeping them! Oh well. :doh:

Here are some pics of the needle kits I'm talking about. I've no clue what entails making the needles change color, but I'm going to assume all you are going to get with the kit are instruction of tearing apart your gauge, and replacing the stock needle light bulbs with the ones that come in the kit...

Attachments

• Blue1.jpg
    Blue1.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 126
  • guages1-1ss.jpg
    guages1-1ss.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 110