Tail shaft removal

Hi all
Does anyone know if it possible to remove the tailshaft with the tranny in situ? It is a 4 speed top loader which has developed a slight leak on the joint from the box to tailshaft. I have nipped up the bottom 3 bolts to try and stop it, but the top 2 are really tucked away at the top and I can't get a socket or wrench on them as is. I thought they may be accessible if I remove the rear mount etc. and let the box drop down a bit.
Any suggestions?
BTW I don't want to remove the complete tranny as last time I did this .... no problem getting it out ... gravity works really well with you ... but I wasn't able to get it back in with the car on stands and had to pull the engine (for the third time in as many weeks!!) and replace them as one lump.
Any suggestions on using some sort of sealer to try and *temporarily* stop the leak without removing anything??

• Sponsors (?)

You can remove the tailshaft housing in place, you CANNOT remove the tailshaft itself while in the vehicle. You probably need to replace the gasket to stop the leak.No sealer is going to work, without removing the tailshaft housing first.

Sorry I meant that I need to remove the tailshaft housing .... not the actual tailshaft. I should have read my post a little better before uploading it. The leak is from the joint between the tailshaft and box, and I'm sure that it is the gasket at fault.
Will I just need to remove the rear mount, handbrake equaliser mech. , propshaft, shifter and drop the exhaust a little .... or is there more to do ??
Will it be OK making a gasket out of 1/32 gasket paper, or is it a special gasket which is used ??

You'll need to remove anything that's bolted to the T/S housing to remove it. Just prop the main case up with a floor jack and remove the cross member, mount, shifter assembly, driveshaft and you should be able to remove it. Making a gasket is probably your best bet, being across the pond where you are. Just use a good thick heavy gasket material. I'd replace the rear seal while you're at it too. That item, is easy to come by here, I don't know about where you are though. Same seal also fits the C-4's too.