Taillight assembly

Dr_EluSivE

Founding Member
Apr 24, 2002
Central Illinois
brown brought be a present today....
DSC02567Medium.jpg

new one on top, old one on bottom.. what a difference...

Anyway i have the old lenses and fixtures separated, and the old black glue that held the old lenses on is still in there, should i chip all that out, then install the new lenses, or use that as a sealer? Also what kind of sealer/glue to do you guys recommend? In the past i have used clear windshield sealer, but im bit sure if thats best, or if there is something better. If you have done this before.. Let me know what you think..

Dr.

Attachments

• DSC02567Medium.jpg
    DSC02567Medium.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 58
  • Sponsors (?)

i swapped to the same lights (but w/o the cobra/svo stripes) i just left the old black goo on there and they have been fine that way for about 4 years now! but you can probably buy the same kind of stuff (i guess its like weatherstrip adhesive?) at pepboys... i think its use for windshield installs as well.

Not butane, but butyl ;) Paint shops should carry it. The windshield stuff comes in a tube , the stuff you're looking for comes in a strip like seam sealer. If you know anyone who works at a Ford dealership, they used to package the stuff with collision replacement lenses and there was always more than what was needed. I don't know if that holds true today, but its worth a shot if you've got the connection.

The stuff's like putty, it stays pliable forever almost. Unlke the auto parts store variety clear windshield sealant that hardens after a little heat and UV exposure.

Oh, that butyl will clean up with a little lighter fluid.