Taking axles out? help?

How hard is it to take my rear axles out? I've gotta replace the rear wheel bearings and i really dont want my car to be down for awhile. plus i wanna save my money and do the work myself. I have most of the tools at my dad's shop. Just no experience in opening the rear end with abs sensors. What would i need to do to complete this?

Thanks for you help

Matt

• Sponsors (?)

It's a pretty easy job. First remove wheels (duh). Remove calipers and disks (duh). If you have abs, you need to remove the sensors (you're probably going to break them, so just go buy new ones now, NAPA has them). Now get under the car and remove the diff cover. Let everything drain out into a catch pan. Now, there's a set screw on the side of the trac-lock, remove that, it'll be a skinny little bolt. That bolt holds a pin that goes through the trac-lock. Now that it's out, push the pin out of the trac-lock. ONCE YOU HAVE THIS PIN OUT, DON'T ROTATE ANYTHING(the differential or axles that is)!!! Now, find your C-clips, and using a magnetic screwdriver or something similar, rotate the clip around so the opening is facing away from you and pull them out. Now you can remove your axles no problem. You're going to need a slide hammer to get the old wheel bearings out. Hope that helps :nice:

Only two things to add... the ABS sensors are expensive, so I wouldn't buy them just yet. I think they are around $70/piece... at least mine were about 2 yrs ago. Second, once the pin is out of the differential, push the axles IN towards the center of the rear end, if you don't you'll never get the axles out. If you get the ABS sensors out without breaking them, put a little grease on them so they are not gauled up if and when you remove the axles again. All the other stuff mentioned is dead on.

P.S.- to get the pin out you will have to push it in slightly and then rotate the differential around and grab it and pull it out, if not there is no way to grab ahold of the pin.