Talked to AMP PERF... what do you think of their recomendation?

not trying to hijack your thread, and didnt mean to go against your street racing..... but, good luck with your NA plans, and future SC plans. Ive worked, lived and been down the roads of street racing, saw a person close to me kill many people while we were trailing.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1571/is_n38_v14/ai_21224326

We were actually all racing, and his lights were not off.

Get the tranny situation figured out, Im not an auto guy, so others know much more. Just remember, 4.10's, 18's with tiny sidewalls might provide a bit of a traction issue for you. If you are dead set on stop light to stop light with other cars, know that streets are generally going to be slick from oil build up, and you're going to have problems hooking with a lower gear, 18 inch rubber and 4.10's. Im not saying the tranny modifications will not help you, but a majority of races are decided on traction and R/T.

• Sponsors (?)

Dude!

You're either deaf or have no d!ck!

Are you not hearing what everyone is saying?

Here....let me spell it out for you....S-U-P-E-R-C-H-A-R-G-E-R/B-L-O-W-E-R!!!!

I'm not trying to be an a$$ but they're trying to tell you from experience that this is the way to go! Listen! Anything else is superfulous!

John

Dude!

You're either deaf or have no d!ck!

Are you not hearing what everyone is saying?

Here....let me spell it out for you....S-U-P-E-R-C-H-A-R-G-E-R/B-L-O-W-E-R!!!!

I'm not trying to be an a$$ but they're trying to tell you from experience that this is the way to go! Listen! Anything else is superfulous!

John

I normally wouldn't even respond to this....but you have to be kidding me... you need to read my posts.....how is it that you come on this board and your first post is this crap? I can tell you're going to be a great contributing member here.... :shrug: you like spelling things out hows this T R A N S M I S S I O N....what do you think will happen right now my friend if I go out and slap a large blower or wild tt set up on my car with my existing mods? you think my stock tranny will take it? N O I T W O N T........

oh and in case you didn't know, I'll throw you a little nugget of knowledge, a supercharger and blower are usually regarded as the same thing..

and winters......I'm not street racing, i never said I was, nor would I ever want to...I'm not interested in getting every last ounce of grip out of the car as I'm not lining up against people to go racing.....Maybe I'll take the car to the track but I doubt it... I only want a quick street car... not even focused enough to care about lost grip with my 295/30/18's, but quick enough to handle it's own if I want to get on it a bit with someone

I don't want to go the wrong direction here....but is everyone on this board lying to themselves that much to say they never get on it on the street? I'm not talking about lining up on a street in front of a school with people out on the sidewalks quarter miling some kid.......or living in a large city hauling from stoplight to stoplight..... I live in the middle of the friggin desert here in palm springs, I often encounter exotics and bikes on realtively deserted roads...both in the desert and mountains.... I have fun in my car and on my motorcycles...I don't drive like a mad man. I've never felt compromised by my driving or anyone elses out here.... I have a good time with respect to a time and place... Hell, I just ran threw some posts today on exhausts and saw some of your guys videos of you mashing the throttle....I didn't see anyone doing that on a racetrack when filming.... I guess no one admits they have fun in their car...isn't that what this is all about in the first place?

Take a look at the post count on this and the last post I just made! Notice anything? Yes, they are the same post count! Way to go Sherlock!

I'm not saying that your tranny swap won't do anything but have you read your own posts? You want to try and kill Bentley GT's! You ain't going to do it with some tranny swap that is for sure. Your tranny will be more than sufficient to bolt a 150hp jump with a blower. Any more than that, then yes, a built tranny is the way to go but you seem to think that this magic tranny will tranform your car into a Bugatti Veyron or something.

BTW how did you get "smoked by an older gentlemen" and not be street racing? Care to explain? Only dumba$$es and children street race! You're obviously not a child! (Well at least not in age!)

Yeah, I know! You usually don't respond to these types of posts but maybe it's because you just got OWNED!

John

Take a look at the post count on this and the last post I just made! Notice anything? Yes, they are the same post count! Way to go Sherlock!

I'm not saying that your tranny swap won't do anything but have you read your own posts? You want to try and kill Bentley GT's! You ain't going to do it with some tranny swap that is for sure. Your tranny will be more than sufficient to bolt a 150hp jump with a blower. Any more than that, then yes, a built tranny is the way to go but you seem to think that this magic tranny will tranform your car into a Bugatti Veyron or something.

BTW how did you get "smoked by an older gentlemen" and not be street racing? Care to explain? Only dumba$$es and children street race! You're obviously not a child! (Well at least not in age!)

Yeah, I know! You usually don't respond to these types of posts but maybe it's because you just got OWNED!

John
You need to tone down the disrespect. People come here for information and knowledgeable opinions, not e-thugging. And yes we all know that talk posts don't up the post count, and let me be the first to thank you for only having one post in tech with this kind of mentality. I see you're new to the site; read some more threads, you'll see that this is not how we progress fellowship and resourcefulness.

To Hotstang_46: that Goodfella's tranny seems like a good deal if it's new. Call them up and speak to em about what kind of features and components it has and ask about its power limit. Take down notes and post em in here (or just e-mail him and cut and paste).

You need to tone down the disrespect. People come here for information and knowledgeable opinions, not e-thugging. And yes we all know that talk posts don't up the post count, and let me be the first to thank you for only having one post in tech with this kind of mentality. I see you're new to the site; read some more threads, you'll see that this is not how we progress fellowship and resourcefulness.

To Hotstang_46: that Goodfella's tranny seems like a good deal if it's new. Call them up and speak to em about what kind of features and components it has and ask about its power limit. Take down notes and post em in here (or just e-mail him and cut and paste).

I see, so in essence what you are telling me is that my opinion is not informative or knowledgeable? I'm sorry if I came off a little hostile but I'm so sick of people who come on asking for advice and then just disregard it only listening to what they want. Granted, I understand it's your car do what you want but when several people tell you the same thing maybe there's some validity to it? I stated that the tranny swap he is thinking of doing will not get him to his goals. Is that not informative or knowledgable?

John

I already said I'm going FI.......it's not even a question.... I knew that before I posted on here about the tranny.... Nobody here is disregarding anybody's advise. But telling me I need a FI, and informing me about my dick is not cool and not why i posted. I never even made mention of a magical transmission as you put it that would have me instantly attaining my goals, but rather explained how I felt it was a critical link toward attaining my goal.

I was only looking for opinions initially on tranny stuff but people started shooting off on FI not knowing I already had planned on doing that. So I said it loud and clear so as to focus on the tranny long before your post.....

as you will agree......it makes no sense to go out and say throw a TT and try putting down a HP number that will grenade my tranny.

It was the only way that it seemed to get your attention!

OK so your going FI! Do you know what type and how big you're going to go? If you're so certain you are going this route than you need to plan it out BEFORE you go spending a chunk of change on a tranny. What happens if the blower(BTW Yes, I do know that a blower and a supercharger are the same thing! That's why I inserted a slash between the two of them!) is either bigger than the tranny can handle? Or worse yet, smaller? You'll have spent all that cash for what?
Maybe what I'm trying to get across, and I'm not doing it because I'm just frustrated for the reasons I've already mentioned, is you need to plan these things out before you go blowing your wad! First, figure out how much HP you want to make. Then size the blower and whatever other power adder will get you there. Now figure out what kind of drivetrain you'll need to support this type of HP! I just think your doing it backwards that's all!

John

P.S. Sorry about the dick thing! LOL!

It was the only way that it seemed to get your attention!

OK so your going FI! Do you know what type and how big you're going to go? If you're so certain you are going this route than you need to plan it out BEFORE you go spending a chunk of change on a tranny. What happens if the blower(BTW Yes, I do know that a blower and a supercharger are the same thing! That's why I inserted a slash between the two of them!) is either bigger than the tranny can handle? Or worse yet, smaller? You'll have spent all that cash for what?
Maybe what I'm trying to get across and I'm not doing it because I'm just frustrated for the reasons I've already mentioned is you need to plan these things out before you go blowing your wad! First, figure out how much HP you want to make. Then size the blower and whatever other power adder will get you there. Now figure out what kind of drivetrain you'll need to support this type of HP! I just think your doing it backwards that's all!

John

P.S. Sorry about the dick thing! LOL!

:rolleyes:

well here's what I'm figuring........I'm just going to get a tranny or mod mine to a point where it's more than what I need...

this thread has made me start thinking about future power adders though.... at this point in time I can't see going wild enough in the future or my budget attaining much more than 500 rear wheel horse ....... so maybe I'll shoot for a tranny that will hold 600+ after this round of mods, which i figure will all come to the 4 grand range....I'd like to put about another 10grand into a nice power adder system(maybe built lower end too) and some nice suspension items to put the power down(next after the tranny).....

NOW you're thinking!!!!

Not to say this is THE way of building up a car but this is how I'm doing it!

First, thing I did was decide how I wanted to drive the car! Did I want to Drag it? Road Race it? Cruise it? This helped me determine what general parts that I would need to get me to my goals. In my case, I wanted to build a Road Racer so the first thing I did was take the stock car out to the track and run it around the course to see what I liked and didn't like about the car.

After I tracked it a couple times I decided that the suspension needed to be addressed first since, in my application, more horsepower was only an asset on the straights! Any more and I'm just spinning tires in the turns. That part could be addressed later. The stock car was understeering badly in some of the turns and oversteering in others. I spoke to Maximum Motorsports and after some of their suggestions I decided to order their Max Grip Box with their Full Race spring/shock setup. I have installed everything except the PHB, Adjustable rear sway and the TA. I should have them in the car within the next few weeks. BTW even without the other stuff in the car it is like night and day! I also installed a Wilwood SL-6 Big Brake kit for better stopping power. If I had intended to Auto-X the car then I would have upgraded to the Cobra brake conversion but the Wilwoods will dissipate heat better than the Cobras will and, for my application, is a better choice.

Since I am coming to the end of the suspension mods I have now turned my attention to upping the power for the straights along with trying to get more torque to squirt me out of the turns. Right now the stock 4.6L 2V is rated at 260 at the flywheel. I figure with the stock 3650 gears and stock diff I'm putting around 190 at the wheel. I want to try and add 50 - 100 hp. I think this is enough to get me around the track in good time. For added torque and HP I am going to run MAC LT's with a prochamber mid and flowmaster 40's. This should net me around 15 - 20 hp. CAI/Accufab plenum and TB should net me another 20 or so. UD pulleys maybe 10 more? With these simple bolt ons I should definitely see power and torque gains. I'm also going to run 4:10 gears, 31 spline axles and an Eaton Posi unit in the rear to help with the torque issues.

PICT0013-2.jpg

John

Attachments

• PICT0013-2.jpg
    PICT0013-2.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 43
NOW you're thinking!!!!

Not to say this is THE way of building up a car but this is how I'm doing it!

First, thing I did was decide how I wanted to drive the car! Did I want to Drag it? Road Race it? Cruise it? This helped me determine what general parts that I would need to get me to my goals. In my case, I wanted to build a Road Racer so the first thing I did was take the stock car out to the track and run it around the course to see what I liked and didn't like about the car.
After I tracked it a couple times I decided that the suspension needed to be addressed first since, in my application, more horsepower was only an asset on the straights! That part could be addressed later. The stock car was understeering badly in some of the turns and oversteering in others. I spoke to Maximum Motorsports and after some of their suggestions I decided to order their Max Grip Box with their Full Race spring/shock setup. I have installed everything except the PHB, Adjustable rear sway and the TA. I should have them in the car within the next few weeks. BTW even without the other stuff in the car it is like night and day!
Since I am coming to the end of the suspension mods I have now turned my attention to upping the power for the straights along with trying to get more torque to squirt me out of the turns. Right now the stock 4.6L 2V is rated at 260 at the flywheel. I figure with the stock 3650 gears and stock diff I'm putting around 190 at the wheel. I want to try and add 50 - 100 hp. I think this is enough to get me around the track in good time. For added torque and HP I am going to run MAC LT's with a prochamber mid and flowmaster 40's. This should net me around 15 - 20 hp. CAI/Accufab plenum and TB should net me another 20 or so. UD pulleys maybe 10 more? With these simple bolt ons I should definitely see power and torque gains. I'm also going to run 4:10 gears, 31 spline axles and an Eaton Posi unit in the rear to help with the torque issues.

John

:bs:
you obviously are new to mustangs. Nice HP qoutes buddy. I think you have been reading too many muscle mustangs and fast fords magazine.

If your car is a PI car, your putting down in the 225-235/240 area stock. A cold air/tb might gain you 3-4hp, max. Pullies might get you another 3-5hp, and will increase throttle repsonse so it might seem like more it...

I just find it funny how you come on to this tread and bash people, with little or no knowledge of what your talking about. Its easy to see through it....

I didn't read this whole thread because it looked like people were writing a book on each post. LOL

Anyway if you think your auto is going break with a blower your wrong. I have everything you have and tons more and Im still on my bone stock auto. I go to the track 1-3 times a month and do 3-4 runs each time and my auto is still fine. Trust me you motor will go before your auto goes if you do a blower because the 4R70W is not a weak transmission. If your going to put money into your car put into something you can actually benifit from right away. I am now just starting to look into a built auto but Im also gettting ready to run a bigger supercharger.

Also a built auto w/ a stall will only help you from a dig, I don't know about you but when I do race on the street 99% of the time its from a roll where a stall does nothing for you. Even if you do alot of dig races, if you have a big enough stall your still lose just for the fact your going to spin off the line like a mother and still get spanked, prolly worse than how you sit now.

Just some advice from someone with a stock auto that runs 11s. :)

I didn't read this whole thread because it looked like people were writing a book on each post. LOL

Anyway if you think your auto is going break with a blower your wrong. I have everything you have and tons more and Im still on my bone stock auto.

but I think it's going now, and that's the assumption I'm working under.... and not to discount what your saying but I would feel that I would be pushing my luck after I put in an FI system....hell I feel like I'm pushing my luck with the damn thing now. Where I live and where I drive also has to be a consideration for me on this....god forbid the tranny goes, (or really any part fails me) in the middle of the desert or in the mountains...it would not be a good situation, and finding an outfit to load and tow without damage would be next to impossible because height of the car... I'm just taking the better safe than sorry approach

what type of power are you putting through your tranny yellow?

Heres a great company to order a 4R70W and TC from.

www.bc-automotive.com

Thanks, I'll check them out...that name sounds familair, i think I've ran across them in searching here...

Ok guys.....my head is spinning on the TC issue...I've talked to AMP again, Lenntech, and Goodfellas.....all of them told me with a stall as high as say 3200-3500 that it would be a waste and cost me speed. they ALL recommended a stall of around 2500-2700.... I don't seem to be creating any clarity with my research on the subject....I'm more confused than ever

PS.....each place I've spoken too.....I've told my plans for the car, not a DDriver, no stop and go traffic...just out putsin around on a regualr basis.....told them I'm probably around 290 at the rear wheels now and hope to add somewhere around 200 to that in the future....also brought up my stge II cams (I'd think that has an impact on the stall speed wanted right?):bang:

but I think it's going now, and that's the assumption I'm working under.... and not to discount what your saying but I would feel that I would be pushing my luck after I put in an FI system....hell I feel like I'm pushing my luck with the damn thing now. Where I live and where I drive also has to be a consideration for me on this....god forbid the tranny goes, (or really any part fails me) in the middle of the desert or in the mountains...it would not be a good situation, and finding an outfit to load and tow without damage would be next to impossible because height of the car... I'm just taking the better safe than sorry approach

what type of power are you putting through your tranny yellow?

With cams in your car and if the car isnt tuned right it will feel like your tans is going out (bucking, shutters, ect) I have had this problem. Have you had it on the dyno? You can actually see if something is going on, on the dyno by spikes or other thing on your graph. If your auto is actually going out then I understand, but have a shop look at it and make sure that it is actually going bad. Another thing you better look at to is stronger axels, with a stall and a hard launch those will break at the track.

As for TC, if you plan on adding a SC to your car bigger isnt always better. When I do my built auto with stall Im only going to do like a 2700-3000. Thats a good stall for a blower car (especially like mine) that runs DRs. It will keep traction and get me right into boost, which is what I want.

My car right now is making around 500+rwhp and the trans is still fine, I think my stall is starting to go out but its something I just started noticing.

I've wanted to get it on a dyno but have not.....I figured I'd take care of that at AMP when I do the other mods. It's a more of a logistical problem to get it on one because of where I live.

However, the tranny has behaved the same since i bought the car...I put on about 300 miles before the mods below and got a good feel for it's characteristics. The mods have done nothing to amplify or lessen the ill effects.

04 YELLOW. Sorry if I'm being redundant and slightly ingorant on this matter........but maybe you can help me clarify.. .. Why are you going with a lower stall than most people on here are running/recommend....Maybe it's just the particular posts I've run across doing research. But it appears most people on here are running tc's between 3200-3800, and most with moderate mods... You having said that you're looking at that lower range.. are the first person that intends to go with something that's even relatively inline with what these shops are recommending for me. any insight you can give me to why would be awesome:D