talked to MM today and they recommended me the foxbody road and track box suspension

• Sponsors (?)

IMHO, I'd suggest an upgrade to the MM Heavy-duty Adjustable Rear Lower Control Arms.
Note, the extreme-duty rear control arms are for strip-only cars.

Also, IMHO, putting on any rear control arm on a stock ~20+ year-old Fox POS torque box is asking for trouble.
I strongly suggest the Wild Ride Battle Box upper and lowers. Check ebay. I got mine recently for less than $90 with S&H! :)

Otherwise, go with MM, and go with quailty parts!

Be very aware that ~99% of the aftermarket stuff for Stangs is pure cr*p and/or rice! That includes a lot of the cr*p that FRPP sells (their ricer B springs come to mind, and their 25+ technology year old 5.0 cams).

thanks...i forgot to mention that this is for a 98% street only car. do you recommend MM springs that come with the kit or h&r etc? thanks
That sounds very similar to my car.
It depends on the H&R springs.

For an 3/4"->1" drop up front, you need 600+ lbs/in springs.

IMHO, anything that doesn't keep the same amount of force for full jounce up front are not for handling in any way at all! In fact, they often cross over to what I call either for look only cars, or for ricer cars (to "brag" about the drop/amount).

That's another reason I suggest getting rear adjustable control arms. For handling, you want wide tires. You do not want ricer size tires (like a 275 tire that's has a real width that's the same as the stock 225 tire). You want contact patch width. So, in the rear, that can be a problem with some cars and tire combos. Also, it can be hard to get the right rake or drop in the rear.

My car.
But, without the MM adj rear arms, battle boxes, and a few other minor things.
Mustang 86 - Mach1 Springs

FWIW, my car is my summer DD. And, in the winter, if the roads and weather are nice, I like to drive it about once a month. I even have 4 Blizzak snows just for those few winter drives.

IMHO, I'd suggest an upgrade to the MM Heavy-duty Adjustable Rear Lower Control Arms.

Also, IMHO, putting on any rear control arm on a stock ~20+ year-old Fox POS torque box is asking for trouble.
I strongly suggest the Wild Ride Battle Box upper and lowers. Check ebay. I got mine recently for less than $90 with S&H! :)

Be very aware that ~99% of the aftermarket stuff for Stangs is pure cr*p and/or rice! That includes a lot of the cr*p that FRPP sells (their ricer B springs come to mind, and their 25+ technology year old 5.0 cams).

I would HIGHLY suggest staying away from MM's "Heavy Duty" rear LCA's. I originally had a setup before they started making disclaimers...but in short if your car sees ANY appreciable launching on the street or strip the bushings WILL rip. It's common place and IMHO, an inherit flaw with their 3 piece design. They will be the first to tell you that they are now intended as a replacement for NORMAL street duty only! If you look in their description, they have the following disclaimer:

"Over 400 rwhp? Use our Extreme Duty control arms.

Under 400 rwhp, but if launched hard from a standing start, meaning a drag race style of start from a dead stop, whether on the street or at the strip: Use our Extreme Duty control arms."

$2200 is a pretty expensive susp kit for a car that is 98% street. It sounds like you are the same way I am with my car, I hit up a few open track days/auto-X when I can and then drive it around on nice days and to cruises all summer. I think that you could make an argument for the same or higher quality/performance parts for a lot cheaper. I would reccomend that you stay away from adjustable control arms bc unless you are a highly expirienced racer, you 1. wont know which way to adjust or how much. and 2. you wont even be able to notice the difference. I bet if you do some research you can find all of the same parts for much less than the MM package, plus you can customize to your likings of what you want and you can purchase things a little at a time so you dont have to drop all that cash at one time.

Just my 2 cents

Piece it together, there's stuff in that kit that a daily use street car doesn't really need or may be fine on your car.

* MM Strut Tower Brace
* MM 4-Point K-Member Brace
* MM Solid Steering Shaft
* MM Solid Steering rack Bushings
* Front Swaybar bushings
* Front Swaybar end links
* Front control arm bushings, urethane

I wouldn't buy any of this stuff, unless these parts are in need of replacement on your car.

I'm running the Starter box on my 91, and I'm pretty happy with it. The car actually rides better then it did, plus it handles better. Of course this is in comparison to the 150K mile 19 year old stock stuff that was underneath it.

I agree with this assessment. About the FRPP stuff. There was once a time where those were the only parts you could just bolt on your car like factory parts that were decent quality that didn't have huge side effects. Well, the world has changed and FRPP has not.

I agree with this assessment. About the FRPP stuff. There was once a time where those were the only parts you could just bolt on your car like factory parts that were decent quality that didn't have huge side effects. Well, the world has changed and FRPP has not.
The frpp stuff isn't meant to set the world on fire from a performance standpoint. It's stuff that's meant to last, give a modest performance increase and maintain most of the factory characteristics.
Anyone that buys most of the ford racing parts should know this before purchasing, and if they don't they didn't do enough research.
The parts work, they just aren't for hardcore enthusiasts.

Any of the MM suspension packages can be customized for whatever purpose the customer needs. Any parts can be added or removed; that is no problem at all. If there is some part in the kit that you already have, we can leave it out.

Rear lower control arms with adjustable ride height are a huge advantage. If you are setting up your car for the best possible handling, that means the overall ride height is going to be lowered. If you load up the back of the car and put two people in the back seat, it is a huge advantage to be able to raise the rear of the car up in 1 minute. If you ever take the car drag racing, it is easy to raise up the rear end of the car to increase rear tire traction. Both of these things are quite easy for any driver to feel or tell.

Jack Hidley
Maximum Motorsports Tech Support

Any of the MM suspension packages can be customized for whatever purpose the customer needs. Any parts can be added or removed; that is no problem at all. If there is some part in the kit that you already have, we can leave it out.

Rear lower control arms with adjustable ride height are a huge advantage. If you are setting up your car for the best possible handling, that means the overall ride height is going to be lowered. If you load up the back of the car and put two people in the back seat, it is a huge advantage to be able to raise the rear of the car up in 1 minute. If you ever take the car drag racing, it is easy to raise up the rear end of the car to increase rear tire traction. Both of these things are quite easy for any driver to feel or tell.

Jack Hidley
Maximum Motorsports Tech Support

Holy **** the VERY rare Jack hidely appearance on stangnet

I'm also looking to improve the ride in my '88 LX Vert, but not highjack this link, sorry. It's 100% street, and mostly a weekend driver. The stock suspension is very loose and I really want to tighten things up and get a sportier ride. Can you guys recommend a package? Maximum Motorsports has some decent packages it seems, I like the Convertible Sport Box

1987-89 Mustang convertible Sport Box [SB-1C] : Maximum Motorsports, the Latemodel Mustang Performance Suspension Leader!

...or the starter box.

Anysuggestions?

thanks,