talked to the mechanic today...

talked to my mechanic today...and given the symptoms i have and since i want to keep my car, he suggested a new long block...i have these two options...
1. he can get me a new/rebuilt 302ci engine, with a 3 year unlimited mile warranty with install and everything with my old one for a core charge for $2500...

2. i can have a friend of mine build me an engine...modded...for probably a ballpark figure close to the one above...i am still waiting on a number...my friend has been building engines for 15+ years and is one of THE ford people to go to in my area...and he is the one who directed my to the mechanic whom i mentioned above...

but...i am not sure which i am going to go with...either way, i will be getting a new long block..which will propel my car much better than it is moving now...

whats some suggestions...go with a bone stock 5.0 HO or see if i can push the envelope and build one as much as i can with the amount of money i can spend?...

• Sponsors (?)

I think the obvious answer would be to build one as long as your budget allows. I doubt you can afford a radical stroker if you are looking to spend as much as a stock long block, but maybe your dude can hook you up with a nice cam or some upgraded rods and pistons...

hes got half of a 331 stroker sitting in a box...and seven extra pistons...actually...i could swap a 351W in there from out of his garage, but i dont want to go to a carb setup...im waiting on his reply, its still early in the day and dudes at work...

i do need an instrment panel because my odometer is broke...know anyone with one?...

I had my builder (very reputable) put the 347 together with fairly decent parts (enough for a built N/A setup) and my old block for $2400. I'd try to get more out of it. If you just want a stock replacement, then you could save some with a rebuild and rebuilt heads. Doing a stroker will take a huge chunk of cash when ALL other parts (heads/fuel system/exhuast/cooling/etc) are considered.

hes got complete engines and short blocks and a couple of long blocks all over his garage...just about everywhere you see what looks like a sheet over a boulder...everything from a 289 to a 351W and a 408...i dont want to seem super impatient and keep bugging him to get my quote...hasnt even been a day...i might know something by tonight...hopefully...

I would probably get a GT40P motor out of a explorer install your stock mustang cam 1.7rr and some other nice boltons for that price. I've seen Explorer motor's with low miles go for $600 waranteed!

You wouldn't need to go with a carburetor if you went with the 351. You'll need to find a 351 EFI intake, which isn't hard, but can be expensive. You'd need a 351 distributor, too, but everything else from the 302 will bolt right on.